TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Chain alignment tool...cheap!

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ken 
#1 · (Edited)
I just pulled the trigger on one of these little doobies.
I've used these before and really like them, but have never owned one.
There are a lot of them on eBay...$7-$13, free ship.
It's like a sore willie...ya' can't beat it!

See less See more
#2 ·
Better image:

#3 ·
#4 ·
They're neat little doohickeys, although I ended up giving mine away after it sat in the dirty corner of the bottom drawer of my toolbox for years. Never used it.

Chains still have a bit of side-to slide slop, so I set them the same way I would a belt drive bike (should the swingarm markings be illegible, or unreliable). Elevate the wheel, give it a spin, and note which edge of the sprocket the chain naturally rides against. If it rides to the outboard side, move that side's adjuster out a bit, or the other side's in to change the angle and try again. When it rides in the middle, you're all set.

On my TW that has the chain side adjuster about 2 clicks farther out than the brake side (or maybe vise versa, don't remember). If both adjusters are set "evenly", the chain rubs against one side, which had created noticeable wear (versus the other side of the sprocket) after only a couple thousand miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.