TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Chain and sprocket dilemma?

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  grewen 
#1 ·
So here is my problem, I have 2019 tw200 with 4000 miles on it. I put a DID o-ring chain on it 2000 miles ago and I now believe this was a fake DID chain because I have lost/cracked 2 of the rollers on the chain. I rode for awhile missing one of the rollers before I noticed it and cut out the bad link and replaced it. I’m going to get a new chain but do I need to just replace the sprockets as well to prevent premature chain wear and failure? I don’t really know how to judge sprocket wear. Thanks!

See less See more
#12 ·
I magnified it and saw something the could be missing roller but it could also be a shadow or reflection. You say its missing roller I believe you just on my screen if you didn't tell me what it was I wouldn't know.

I did notice on several rollers a parting line where it looks like a flat piece of metal was pressed into a round one and the ends were left just touching together, not welded. On my DID chain none of the rollers have this line. Could this be the sign of a less expensive chain? One less step in the making of the chain to bring the cost down? I am only asking. I don't know.

And o-ring chains are low maintenance but treated as NO maintenance. They still need cleaning and lubing.

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

#11 · (Edited)
I have had very good luck with BikeMaster chains and sprockets from BikeBandit.com. These have very high tensile strength some rated for 600cc. If it holds up to a 600cc I figured it could handle the high and mighty torque and power of the TW 200.

#16 ·
The o-ring chain is supposed to hold the lube inside the rollers so it doesn't wear out

And so it will – internaly. Unfortunately, this means that without sufficient lube, the outer surfaces that come into with the sprocket will create friction, and combined with the heat from that can quickly turn both chain and sprocket into toast

Then there’s all those rubber rings to dry up and deform, eventually wrecking the whole assembly ….

#18 ·
As far as sprocket wear goes, the things to look for are the space between sprocket teeth and the if the teeth are still straight or curved at the top point of the tooth.
A worn sprocket will have a larger gap between teeth( sprocket metal is worn away) and the roller portion of chain will not ride in the bottom of the sprocket but will pull up and curve the sprocket teeth towards direction of travel. If your chain is not rolling in the bottom of the sprocket tooth excessive wear occurs.

#21 ·
............. and the roller portion of chain will not ride in the bottom of the sprocket but will pull up and curve the sprocket teeth towards direction of travel.
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I also believe chain stretching plays a significant roll in the rollers riding high on the teeth and bending them over.

And I think, but am not sure, that the teeth for the drive sprocket (front) will bend over in the opposite direction than the teeth of the driven sprocket (rear). Can anyone confirm or refute this?

#19 ·
It appears that even though there's a piece of that roller missing, it's still the same diameter as the rest of the rollers. If this is true, there may not be any damage to the sprocket.
I think the rollers are hardened steel, so they probably won't deform if they are cracked. That being said, I'd replace those links, or even better, contact the mfgr and see if they'll send you a new chain. The last thing they'll want, is pictures of one of their chains with an obvious defect floating around the internet.

#20 ·
Is it a DID O-Ring chain or a DID X-ring chain?

The clearance between the sideplates (where the O (or X) -Ring sit is considerably larger (at least 3x) than my DID X-ring chain.

The clearance between the roller and side plate seems excessive too.

Makes me think it is a counterfeit chain. ebay or Wish purchase?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.