TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chain broke on one of our tw yesterday. I've seen people say that the sprockets should be changed as well. I'm not concerned with performance as much as durability. Meaning I'm not trying to increase spread just want something that can take a beating. Do I just get a chain our must I change sprocket as well. A link would be great. Thanks again. Ride fix ride fix ride fix

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
How many miles are on the chain and sprockets. Did the chain just break or did a stick or stone get caught in it?

I replaced my stock chain on my 2013 before 700 miles with an X-Ring. Haven't had to adjust it since and I've put 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
You are supposed to change them as a set, but if the sprockets show VERY little wear, most will just install a new chain.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Had my original chain on for almost 5000 miles before I changed to an O-ring. Sprockets looked good so I left them. Have now 19,300 miles on it. Sprockets still look good.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only 700 miles on a 93 but we were rideing it pretty hard. So it could have gotten smashed. What am I looking for in the sprocket?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Check each "tooth". Front and rear sprockets. Look for missing pieces and for "wider" spacing. 700 miles shouldn't show much wear if chain was properly adjusted.

These sprockets show wear. Can you see how the front sprockets teeth look like they turned? Rear shows less wear but still noticeable.
Damage will be easier to identify.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Good postings, Paliden. Very helpful. I just returned from a ride where my buddy got granite gravel caught between chain and sprocket during river crossing. Made horrible noises but no noticeable damage to quality chain and sprocket. Good news since we were back-of-beyond in the bush and didn't relish idea of a tow over a mtn pass due to broken chain.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Under the " Non-sealed " chain paragraph ,the last sentence is concerning to me . Also , make sure the new sprocket's are not made of a harder material than the OEM , this could cause premature wear of the splined counter shaft .The OEM sprocket's from Yamaha are of good quality .

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still have no idea how to order a chain though. Do the o ring chains need to be a certain length? A regular chain can be broken and adjusted to length right?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
All chains can be shortened but why spend more money on a longer chain?
Do you know if you have stock sprockets sizes? If not count the teeth ( if not marked. Then order the correct length chain.
I think Pro Cycle lists the tooth count and link count.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Open (non-o-ring) chains need lots of oil. They should be cleaned in kerosine and soaked in 140 wt gear oil every 300 to 400 miles and after dirt rides. I let mine go to 450 miles once and the pins on the master link were dry.

If you didn't oil the chain for 700 miles I bet some of the links weren't flexing or bending anymore and breakage soon follows. A chain with frozen links will also damage sprockets. You be the judge -- do you or don't you need new sprockets?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts