TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
2004 TW200, 3000 miles
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me to anywhere selling chain by the link, rather than by set lengths?

When i worked at bikes shops back in the UK (many, many years ago) we used to have them all on rolls & cut them to required lengths.

I just need 5 links (plus a split) of 428 O or Xring & i hate to have to buy a full $60+ chain just for that.

· Premium Member
185 Posts
Mixing links on old school roller chain is mostly safe but mixing brands and types of sealed chain isn't something I would do. Even different types of chain by the same manufacturer can cause problems.

When DID started rolling out their consumer X-ring chains they specifically mentioned that the x-ring and o-ring master links were not compatible and shouldn't be substituted for any reason. We measured them with calipers and one had slightly longer posts than the other. It would likely snap together with a tool but would be the failure point.

Rob, what chain do you have? I have a segment of 428 VX DID chain I cut off mine when I installed it. I could send it to you but shipping from Canada will likely be a significant chunk of the cost of a new one and a month away :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
2004 TW200, 3000 miles
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jimmy, I honestly don't know what's on there currently. I'm 90% sure it's a DID, but not enough to say for certain. It could be a JT sprockets number.
It sounds like my best bet would be to buy a chain for each rear wheel setup.

· Registered
23,849 Posts
While adding links or simply getting a second longer chain accomplishes the goal the master link clips will end up getting cycled. Good idea might to be to get several spare masterlinks so clips do not see too many cycles before replacment.
I have found not only different length pins but also different pin diameters from various 428 chain manufactures.

· Premium Member
5,002 Posts
I have found not only different length pins but also different pin diameters from various 428 chain manufactures.
This is exactly what I was referring to when I said mixing brands may fail. Only I was too lazy to formulate the verbage Fred has taken time to do here. (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts