TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am about to change my chain lub from wax to silicon. after recommendations from a group member, i started to look at Dupont's Chain Saver. has anyone else used this product? here is an article i came across, i didn't write it

""NEWS FLASH!!! DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver gets slammed by Motorcycle Consumer News...
Appologies for creating a separate thread for this, in addition to the chain lube thread, but I feel it is important enough to not bury in an "unexciting" thread which might get passed over.

I use to use the old DuPont with Teflon (non-wax) in the yellow can, and others had good results with the old Teflon Multi-use in the blue can/bottle, but both are now discontinued. Running low on my old supply, and leaving on what turned out to be a 4,700 mile trip, I wanted to start the trip with a new can of lube, so I picked up a can of what DuPont replaced both previous lubes with: the new DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver "self-cleaning" wax-type lube in the yellow can.

On my trip, I lubed the chain every day (250-400 miles) but even on short days with no rain, the chain always seemed dry and lacking any lube by the end of the day. Upon return 4,700 miles later, the chain had mucho-slacko, and had kinks all over, even though the chain had only needed (barely) adjustment two times in the previous 14,000 miles.

Today in my mailbox arrived the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (July), in which their reviewer stated in no uncertain terms his discontent with DuPont's successor to their previous excellent chain lubes. I wish it had arrived before I left on my trip, because the reviewer stated basically everything I just related I experienced using the new stuff. Folks, the new DuPont chain lubes are not what they used to be, and by a huge margin. MCN summed up their article on the new lube with the following: "... we can't recommend it, and you'd better not find our recommendation on it's packaging." Them's about the harshest words I've seen them use, and that coming from a magazine that accepts no advertising dollars, so has no axe to grind. Buyer beware.""

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Well, it seems I still have one can of the old stuff, which has been great for the last 5 years. I'll have to see if this information is correct. If so, the search for the perfect chain lube continues. :mad:
BTW, that article is from June 2013. I know the Chain Saver I have been using is newer than that. Chicken Little? Maybe.

EDIT: After checking, it seems the current product is the same as what I have been using happily for the last five years. I'm going to keep using it. It's true that it doesn't last that long, but it only takes two minutes to re-apply with a crutch jack. I put it on about every 150 miles. So far the sky hasn't fallen. :p

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i don't know what artical it was from. it popped up when i googled reviews on the Dupont. it was from another forum. so now i'm thinking to spray silicon on first and when it dries, spray chain wax over top. i think the silicon will get into even nook and cranny better than the wax

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just bought the BelRay today myself, Saw and article on the Chain Grease Ninja and got one of those to try too. Looks like a neat concept that puts the lube where it needs and less where it does not..

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Anyone us Motul....I have been quite happy with it...:)
i used their paste, which was a pain to put on and then collected dust and flung off onto my wheel and made a mess. then switched to the spray, which also collected dust. i then used spray wax, which worked well, no muss no fuss

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The TW is my only motorcycle with a chain, rest are all "shafties".
When I changed my stock no-ring chain to an X-Ring I tried chain paste for the first time as opposed to regular spray lubricants.

I'm very happy with it, it doesn't seem to fling-off much even if you over-do it (we all do), sticks like glue. Does pick up some debris in the woods but that's just a simple wipe-off at the end of the day, no big deal. Seems to be impervious to water crossings and puddles, no loss at all and that's the most important thing. Snow and salt don't seem to bother it.

It's hard for me to determine whether it's the high quality of the X-Ring chain or the Motul Chain Paste that's making a difference but I have not had to make even the slightest adjustment in over 1000+ miles of street and some light trail riding. Only "pasted" twice in about a year. I'd imagine that in super cold weather like we are having back east right now, probably not the best time to "paste your chain".

If you ever plan on trying or switching to chain paste (any brand) you'll need to completely degrease your chain before. Easiest done off the bike.
If you don't well, that'll be some mess.

Simple and easy application... don't really need to think about it much.
chainpaste1.jpg

chainpaste3_tb.jpg

Reactions: Ken and littletommy

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
The TW is my only motorcycle with a chain, rest are all "shafties".
When I changed my stock no-ring chain to an X-Ring I tried chain paste for the first time as opposed to regular spray lubricants.

I'm very happy with it, it doesn't seem to fling-off much even if you over-do it (we all do), sticks like glue. Does pick up some debris in the woods but that's just a simple wipe-off at the end of the day, no big deal. Seems to be impervious to water crossings and puddles, no loss at all and that's the most important thing. Snow and salt don't seem to bother it.

It's hard for me to determine whether it's the high quality of the X-Ring chain or the Motul Chain Paste that's making a difference but I have not had to make even the slightest adjustment in over 1000+ miles of street and some light trail riding. Only "pasted" twice in about a year. I'd imagine that in super cold weather like we are having back east right now, probably not the best time to "paste your chain".

If you ever plan on trying or switching to chain paste (any brand) you'll need to completely degrease your chain before. Easiest done off the bike.
If you don't well, that'll be some mess.

Simple and easy application... don't really need to think about it much.
View attachment 154769

View attachment 154777

I tried this stuff too. For me it was a pain in the arse to apply but I tried to put it on with the chain on the motorcycle. Maybe it would be better with the chain off, I don't know? I'll keep it as a spare in case I forget to buy the spray stuff.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I put it on/applied with the rear wheel elevated. Two turns of the chain and it was done. It was warm weather and went on like butter. Granted this was a brand-new chain so I didn't have to deal with cleaning or it getting mixed with another product.
I've seen them keep the tubes in warm water at the track for those that use it for racing.

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
I put it on/applied with the rear wheel elevated. Two turns of the chain and it was done. It was warm weather and went on like butter. Granted this was a brand-new chain so I didn't have to deal with cleaning or it getting mixed with another product.
I've seen them keep the tubes in warm water at the track for those that use it for racing.
Warming it up. You've given me a better way to apply it. Thanks

I am kind of worried though about the whole dirt and dust collecting on it issue. Our TW's come back home caked with dust all over. Of course, generally, this isn't just an issue with this type of chain lube.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am not about to try that Motul paste again.
3 times i have tried to use it.

Warm the tube to spread? Its 100 deg outside shouldn't have to warm it up.
Too pasty to be easy to spread, just clumps up and those end brushes are too flexible to do any good to help in spreading.
I did try to cut the brushes back some to make the stiffer, didn't help.

After a bit thought i would give it another go. This tube caked up.
All i had so had to break the clumps and spread with fingers.
That lasted all of 3 minutes before I tossed the tube.

Called the place i bought it from and they sent another tube.
It was like the first, just too messy to deal with.

Now searching for a spray on that is easy to carry.

After trying that Motul, I switched back to just plain old 140w gear oil in a tube.
DID X ring lasted about 20k miles.
I have put 30k miles on my bike, working on 3rd chain now.
first one only lasted about 10k, cheap chain that came with it.
Switched to the DID X o-ring, real happy with that chain.

This coming trip on TW will cover about 4k, so want some lube that will work.
The TW has an o-ring chain on it. Dont know how many mile on it.

As a note, i use kerosene to clean the chain before lubing before heading out on a long trip.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey, have we successfully found a replacement for a "best motoroil is" thread? I use candlewax and benign neglect when I think about it.
Doubt it.
I an't looking for best, just something that works better than what i have been using.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts