TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can tell this isn't the best but here is my situation I live on an island most things are flown in. Aerosols won't fly, the barge company has a minimum shipment of $100. So if I wanted my Maxim chain wax it would be $100 extra to put a box on the barge. At this point I am thinking about just using WD-40 and see what happens. What are your thoughts/ experience?

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
Can't you buy proper chain lube in Ketchican and smuggle in in on the Inter-Island Ferry? Fishy liquid WD-40 may not be the best compared to chain saw bar oil or another available true petroleum based lubricant.

·
Registered
305 Posts
A recent video by Fortnine found ordinary gear lube was the best performing chain lube. It's also what's recommended by most chain manufacturers. The key to it not flinging off and making a mess is to apply sparingly. I brush it on with an old toothbrush, then run a rag along the chain afterward to remove excess that would have flung off. After a ride my rear wheel is still perfectly clean. I still feel the spray dry lubes (chain wax, the dupont chainsaver) are more convenient, but if aerosols are a no-no, I'd probably just use gear oil.

WD40 is OK for cleaning a chain, but it evaporates too quickly to be a good lubricant.

·
Registered
269 Posts
From the reading/research/youtube videos I have seen, which include tests stacking the top lubes/etc. against each other... the winner actually seems to be gear oil. WD40 doesn't do great, and lubes are ticker and often require more cleaning/maintenance.

This last time I cleaned my chain, I used 80w90 gear oil, and my chain has stayed looking cleaner without grit/etc. for much longer! You do want to leave it to dry over night before a ride though, otherwise you wiill definitely sling oil everywhere.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
571 Posts
I saw this guy on Youtube test every kind of chain lube you can think of...including WD40. After all of his torturing and beating the chains, plain old gear oil wound up beating all the high tech (and low tech) chain lubes. Just get some 80W90 of any brand. I tried it on my apollo 250 and it works great. So far on my TW I have not touched the chain. Over 1000 miles on the original chain. Does not need adjusting. I keep checking. Never oiled it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
A recent video by Fortnine found ordinary gear lube was the best performing chain lube. It's also what's recommended by most chain manufacturers. The key to it not flinging off and making a mess is to apply sparingly. I brush it on with an old toothbrush, then run a rag along the chain afterward to remove excess that would have flung off. After a ride my rear wheel is still perfectly clean. I still feel the spray dry lubes (chain wax, the dupont chainsaver) are more convenient, but if aerosols are a no-no, I'd probably just use gear oil.

WD40 is OK for cleaning a chain, but it evaporates too quickly to be a good lubricant.
We must have been writing this at the exact same time! This is one of the videos I watched when figuring this out. And I can definitely attest to it thus far—at least in comparison to BlueRay lube (which is what I had always used previously).

·
Registered
177 Posts
How about synthetic gear oil?..ha! :angel8::angel8:

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I wash the chain with kerosene and lube with 140 wt gear oil and do it every 400 to 450 miles and after every dirt ride.

Gear oil bought at O'Reilly's by the gallon and a gallon lasts a loooooong time!

I have heard of people using WD40 and they spray it on the chain after every ride and they claim to get good results.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I use the waste oil out of my diesel truck. It's Rotella Synthetic and I use an ole steel thumb pump oil can to put it on. Like others said you have to leave it drip over night.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Clean chain. Then a little 10W-40 on a rag and run your chain through it. Light and clean, doesn't lump or gunk like wax, and easy to clean off for the next lube. That's what I do. Do what works for you and your area.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Blaster Multi-Purpose Lubricant. It's a spray can lubricant. Very convenient, kind of expensive at $6/10 ounces. I like to lube the chain every hundred miles or so, a tank of gas. This is how we do it very simple if you have a helper.

Standing on the left side of the TW reach over with your left hand and grasp the right side handle grip. With the kick stand down rock the motorcycle toward you balancing the bike on the front wheel and kickstand. This done right will raise the back wheel off the ground and allows the rear wheel to spin freely with bike in neutural. Instruct your helper to spin the rear wheel hence rotating the chain. Holding the spray lube in your right hand spray the rotating chain. Spin, spray, done. I have never really cleaned the chain and we rode 10,000 miles before replacing them. Dirts a Flyen SanDue :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
You know Dan, you can replace Sue with a jack stand under off-side of swingarm to hold rear tire in the air. Jack stand will hold tire up indefinitely without complaint or wiggling, but is not as cute.
Please don't tell Sue that I said she is replaceable though.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Fluid film is my back up to offroad chain lube. I haven't had any issue with either making any mess when the lube is flung off with dirt. The wax collects too much dirt for me. Better for street riders.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Clean with kerosene and lube with this.

View attachment 197180
I think that is the best way to clean the stock chain. If you remove the chain or put it in an oil bath it is really well lubed. The first time I cleaned an old rusted chain, not a TW, I cleaned with kerosene, went for a ride and slung it all up my back. I had this neat speckled shirt. I got home and took the chain loose and give it an oil bath. I ran that chain about 5 years and it had really looked rough.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts