TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a 47 tooth rear sprocket, and I want to make sure I am safe. Bikes are new to me! Will my stock chain fit? Will I have to shorten it any? Thanks! Also any tips are appreciated!

·
Registered
464 Posts
So I just got a 47 tooth rear sprocket, and I want to make sure I am safe. Bikes are new to me! Will my stock chain fit? Will I have to shorten it any? Thanks! Also any tips are appreciated!

Some people do not recommend changing sprockets without changing chain (wear issues). But as a minimum I would remove 3 links if you went from the stock rear (50) to a 47 or you will have limited adjustment. The OEM chain that came with the bike historically has proven itself to be a poor chain and if worn will cause rapid sprocket wear and might cost you more money in the long run.

Good Luck

Mike

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I also replaced my stock sprocket with a 47 tooth sprocket. Unless your stock chain is already extremely worn (i.e., stretched) it should work fine and will not need to be shortened. You will lose some of your adjustment range, but there should still be enough until you decide to replace the chain.

Brian

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Some people do not recommend changing sprockets without changing chain (wear issues). But as a minimum I would remove 3 links if you went from the stock rear (50) to a 47 or you will have limited adjustment. The OEM chain that came with the bike historically has proven itself to be a poor chain and if worn will cause rapid sprocket wear and might cost you more money in the long run.

Good Luck

Mike
NO! There is no 1-to-1 correlation between link count and tooth count.

Yamaha installs 120-link chains on TWs with 14/45 sprockets, 122-link chains on 14/50 sprockets.

Unless your chain is stetched out, the stock chain will fit fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just did this last weekend with a new JT 47 tooth and EK o-ring chain. I started with a 130 and cut it down to a 122 and it fit just fine. My adjusters are on #7, about right in the middle. I got a couple of extra masters and kept the extra 8 links for changing back to the 54 rear if I want to. It only had about 420 miles on it. For the few miles I've put on this week, I think I'll like the 47 for the street, but may switch back to the 54 for mountains. I did get a new 50 to try too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I only have like 160 miles on the bike. But plan on riding it to work as much as I can this summer! About a 20 mile ride each way.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thanks! I only have like 160 miles on the bike. But plan on riding it to work as much as I can this summer! About a 20 mile ride each way.

That's about what my commute is. It's a nice bike for it. Just remember to always reset your tripmeter so you know when you'll have to fill up, and practice flipping the fuel from ON to RESERVE while riding because sooner or later you'll run out while in traffic. It happens
I now fitted my bike with 4.1 gallon Clarke tank, but with the small OEM tank I'd just keep a 5 gallon gas can in the garage and fill up instead of running to the gas station so often.

47t is the perfect sprocket for me and my commute, hopefully for you too.

Anyways, enjoy the bike, watch out for cars, and be safe!

Pat

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! Yeah I totally already had to switch to the reserve! I want a larger tank or something as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very new "newbie" here, just bought a new one last week and am really glad I found this forum! I already have decided to go to a 47T sprocket and was going to ask this same question, so nothing to add, just saying thanks everyone! P.S. I live in Minnesota and was so excited to ride it to work the day after I bought it, I just couldn't wait, and ended up dumping it on some re-freeze! I guess even these tires are no match for ice!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Will a 120 link fit the 14/47 combo better than a 122?? When I change everything out again I would like more adjustment.. OMM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts