TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i went on my first ride on the TW after the rebuild. I had some teething troubles, but one item I cant understand I thought might be experienced before. Under load (going up steep hills on dirt) the chain will slip on the rear sprocket. Now this happened when i first tested the bike with a cheap chain, so I changed it for a higher qual chain, and i changed the sprockets at the same time. I can tighten the chain, really tight, helps, but not supposed to have a chain adjusted in that way.

The tw only seems to have a chain slider, no tensioner or guide? I have fitted a duro on the rear and perhaps the significant traction is meaning more pressure is on the chain/ sprockets?

·
Super Moderator
5,428 Posts
Four things to check

1: Sprocket condition – check the teeth
2: Chain size – have you got the right chain on there (or even the right sprockets)
3: Chain tension – check how tight it is
4: Chain adjuster alignment – the indicators on the adjusters are not always equal on both sides

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The chain will never slip over good sprockets. That is the first thing that indicates worn sprockets. If the chain and sprockets are new then there is another issue. Maybe it's the woodruff key worn or missing under the front sprocket allowing it to spin:
28KEY, WOODRUFF
90280-05001-00

From Partzilla for reference.
$6.49
$4.76

·
Registered
706 Posts
You are not having chain problems. You have something slipping at the crankcase or in the crankcase. This is based off your info stated above. Could be simple as wrong front sprocket or missing attachment hardware. The other one ain't that pretty. Opening the case.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
by the OPs comments on new chain and sprockets, either they not the right parts or the bike has other problems.

it has been said, new chain and sprockets won't slip or skip

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah,
I kind-a wonder how a NEW SET OF SPROCKETS and a NEW CHAIN can actually slip. Heck, even if it's REAL LOOSE a new set can't slip teeth. A long, long time ago, when I used to do a lot of wrenching on cars/trucks etc. GM, Chrysler and Ford, all used Aluminum Cam gears with Nylon covered teeth. It was done to quiet the cam shaft drive mechanism(s) in an effort to keep and or, make engines quieter. But, over a given amount of time, the nylon wore away and, that meant you had more and more slack in that cam chain/gears. At a given time, what would happen is, that aluminum cam gear turned into a saw blade with bent teeth.

Once they got worn/bent enough, then the cam chain would actually JUMP teeth. When that happened(s), for those that know how engines work, it can be DESASTEROUS! For those that don't know how engines work, your cam is what rotates and through various components, moves your valves up and down to allow for intake or exhaust. But, there must be timing of the valves going up and down so that the piston and valves are not tying to occupy the same space at the same time, NOT GOOD!

Well, enough engine instruction. What the point is, there's no NYLON to wear on those motorcycle sprockets to wear and cause the inner aluminum teeth to bend. Will they wear and bend on an aluminum sprocket, sure. But, it ain't gonna happen real soon after installation. In fact, it's gonna take quite a while, as in thousands of miles, not the next day. So, I'd like to see pics of the OPs sprockets and chain setup.
Scott

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all thanks for all your comments. Well the chain and sprockets are brand new, and its a really unpleasant feeling when the slipping occurs. Chunk, chunk, chunk! Its only up hills when under load. It happens in any gear, although given its when im revving it hard up climbing a steep hill i am usually in first.

Ill check that front sprocket, maybe its causing the slip in some way. By the way, i had the problem with the old sprockets too, so maybe as many of you have said, there is something else happening here. However the problem does reduce when the chain is very tight.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Clutch is likely shot. Probably glazed. That's my vote. NO WAY is that chain slipping teeth on the sprockets with 16 earth shattering horse power.;)
I also like the theory of a shaft key being damaged. Better remove the front sprocket and check that too. These items are only about an hour to check out.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Chunk, chunk, chunk! Its only up hills when under load
this is the clue..... could be the clutch shuddering rather than a classic slip, or possible shifting dogs not remaining engaged. it would help to hear or see when it is happening. definitely should ease up on the chain tension, back to recommended slack to take excessive side load off the output shaft

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
how are the bushings in the swing arm, if they are sloppy, it wold be hard to keep the chain adjusted

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I figured the chain was loose but it really wasn't much and my chain/sprockets are plenty good. If it is the chain and/or sprockets, it will eventually become more obvious. My fear however is that something inside the case is amiss since I've had other gear issues on the clutch side of the engine due to abuse by the previous owner. In the mean-time, I just ride and try not to load the engine too hard.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts