TW200 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm with Apholla - I would check that tire for any extra wear and also have a good look at the swingarm for any contact marks.

·
Registered
788 Posts
It sounds like the sprockets and chain are the wrong size/spacing for each other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all, i went on my first ride on the TW after the rebuild. I had some teething troubles, but one item I cant understand I thought might be experienced before. Under load (going up steep hills on dirt) the chain will slip on the rear sprocket. Now this happened when i first tested the bike with a cheap chain, so I changed it for a higher qual chain, and i changed the sprockets at the same time. I can tighten the chain, really tight, helps, but not supposed to have a chain adjusted in that way.

The tw only seems to have a chain slider, no tensioner or guide? I have fitted a duro on the rear and perhaps the significant traction is meaning more pressure is on the chain/ sprockets?
Hi all. I think you may have a problem with the retainer washer on the small sprocket that sits on the gearbox output shaft, this has the function of positioning the front sprocket in the correct position on the shaft. This washer actually bolts onto the front sprocket in an offset position to keep the sprocket properly on its splines. To check it you have to remove the side cover. It may also be that the splines on the output shaft or sprocket are damaged. I really dont think a chain can "jump teeth" on a reasonable good sprocket.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Disassembled and inspected clutch. All ok. Oil had no particles or debris. So its something else...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Years ago a guy in our group changed the countershaft sprocket on some sort of Honda enduro with the same type of mounting scheme that the TW uses. He developed the same symptoms you describe, normal until loaded, then noisy slippage. Turns out he used the wrong bolts/washers to hold the "washer" in place, and they were lifting the chain partially out of engagement with the sprocket. Something to check.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was taught to lift the chain on the sprocket to check the wear on the pins and rollers. If you could lift the chain clear of the teeth it was worn out.
Here is an example of checking the slop but this chain failed because it is a metric 06b chain on a std #35 sprocket. The teeth and chain are in okay condition but the chain doesn’t seat around the sprocket.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks again for all your thoughts. No I havent solved it. I will check the front sprocket engagement but I fear its internal, and that means engine out, so I need to wait until i have the time and determination to do it. I now have a second tw, so i can check if there are any obvious differences with the front sprocket set up, which i hope is the cause. I did take the bike for a ride recently and if there are no hills, then all was well.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts