TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
That goes right along with my own personal opinion. I only ever use O or X ringed chains which should be permanently lubricated from within. I absolutely hate oil fling getting all over the rear spokes, wheel and any other parts and I am not real concerned with a light surface rust. I use Dawn dish detergent and warm water to clean my chains followed by a low pressure water rinse and allow it to dry. What I noticed with any and all external lubricants I ever used is they all attract dust and dirt and give it a sticky place to cling to. On the other hand if I leave the chain dry with no lube at all and go for a dusty ride I don't have much dirt or dust clinging to my chain or sprockets. I use regular motor oil at the end of the riding season and wipe the chain down with a moistened rag for winter storage just to prevent too much rust from forming.
I just installed 2 new DID X ring chains on my BW 350. From the manufacture the internal grease appears to be a white lithium formulation but the outside external lubricant is more like a wax. I bet this external lube is simply used for the purpose of rust prevention while the chain is in it's box. It would not be great to open a brand new ringed chain only to find a light coat of rust forming before it ever was on your bike. As always, you can use what ever you like on your bike and chain and nothing I do is meant to be advice. I hate trying to clean spokes and rims after they have sat with years of chain lube slung all over them and all the dirt, grease and grime that sticks to it.

GaryL

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wow! He gave some information that we've always had and never used! Read the directions that comes with the chain. I admit it. I've never done that. LOL

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Use 140 wt gear oil -- much less fling, or sling.

Also, on an open chain and probably not a good idea on an X or O ring chain, place the chain in the gear oil so it is completely covered, place the container with the oil and chain in a vacuum chamber, pump out the air, then let the air back in, remove the chain and let it drip / wipe off the excess and it is ready to go. The chain will be oiled in every little nook and cranny and if done religiously the chain will last many thousands of miles -- I have one with over 30,000 miles on it and the stretch is still within tolerance as in it doesn't need to be replaced yet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Use 140 wt gear oil -- much less fling, or sling.

Also, on an open chain and probably not a good idea on an X or O ring chain, place the chain in the gear oil so it is completely covered, place the container with the oil and chain in a vacuum chamber, pump out the air, then let the air back in, remove the chain and let it drip / wipe off the excess and it is ready to go. The chain will be oiled in every little nook and cranny and if done religiously the chain will last many thousands of miles -- I have one with over 30,000 miles on it and the stretch is still within tolerance as in it doesn't need to be replaced yet.
Ok, I'll be the first to ask. Where do you get this vacuum chamber?

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Ok, I'll be the first to ask. Where do you get this vacuum chamber?
I got mine at Goodwill. I think it cost 2 bucks. Its other name is a "pressure cooker". The top clamps down tight and there is a little nipple that a rubber hose fits on. I am using a hand pump -- a little slow and tedious -- but one day I will find an electric vacuum pump for cheap and then all this will be a piece of cake.

Here is a really exciting picture of it!
PA120065.JPG

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
"Presto" brand pressure cooker.
My Mom loved hers!

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
My Food Saver vacuum sealer has containers for marinating that a chain would fit in.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
My Food Saver vacuum sealer has containers for marinating that a chain would fit in.

GaryL
Tell me they are not watching every word we type! So I just posted this about my Food Saver vacuum sealer and when I checked my email and spam a minute later I already an advertisement from Food Saver.

GaryL

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Tell me they are not watching every word we type! So I just posted this about my Food Saver vacuum sealer and when I checked my email and spam a minute later I already an advertisement from Food Saver.

GaryL
Privacy is dead! In the not to distant future all your ID will be on your smart phone and you will be required to have it with you, much like your wallet is now, and with the smart phone they will track your every move.

I have seen the future and I am glad I am old.

·
Registered
19,405 Posts
I think we're all supposed to just resist, elime. Put on the tin foil hats and don't let them into your head, your phone, or your wallet.:p resist.jpeg

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Privacy is dead! In the not to distant future all your ID will be on your smart phone and you will be required to have it with you, much like your wallet is now, and with the smart phone they will track your every move.

I have seen the future and I am glad I am old.
that is not the future!!! that is right now. if i look at something on Amazon, i'm getting notices in my email about the same item form flea bay. it's really becoming a pain in the a$$

·
Registered
552 Posts
Even worse than companies tracking what we write, they are also listening in on eveything we say within range of an Amazon device, such as the Echo, Dot, or voice Fire TV. There was an article last week discussing the large amount of Amazon employees in India listening to conversations recorded from Amazon devices. Amazon says it is for "product improvement".
If you don't believe me, have a few conversations about whether or not you should get a new TV and then wait and see hiw long before adds for TVs pop up on your browser.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts