TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again! I took the bike out on some dirt trails, and on my way home I noticed that I lost power to the rear wheel. I pulled over and quickly saw that the chain was no longer on the front sprocket. The chain wear guard had been pulled into the sprocket and ended up derailing the chain. Thankfully a very helpful passerby helped me to get the chain back on the front sprocket, and I was able to ride home. I noticed that the chain in very loose now, so I will have to adjust it soon.

My question is how necessary is that wear guard really? Will I be totally fine if I just adjust the chain and ride without it? If not, does anyone know where I can pick one up?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
The wear guard is absolutely necessary unless you want to wear through your swing arm and have it fall off.. BOTH OF THEM!! Maybe Procycle has them, or any Yamaha dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone - I ordered the parts and they're on their way. Now I"ll just have to see how easily I can remove the swingers bolt to get the new guard in place...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this will be fun - I thought I might be able to just knock the swingarm bolt out of place to get the new guard on, but I think I will actually have to totally remove the swingarm to get this piece on. I don't have very much experience with this kind of work, but I think this should be simple enough to give a try. Does anyone have any good suggestions or ideas?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I would posit that the guard wore because your chain was too loose. Possibly too worn.

Should be between one and two inches of slack at midpoint. Wear, I haven't learned to judge - but a lot of sidewise play and binding, tell you it's probably time to replace.

Cost is about $25 for a non-O-ring chain. Can't go wrong just getting a new one every season.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just Passin Thru - I think that might have had something to do with it. I didn't check the tightness of the bolt holding the guard in place, so when that wiggled out the loose chain grabbed the guard and threw it into the sprocket.

Azxj91 - For some reason I didn't see that - thank you! It looks to be pretty straightforward, so I think I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
385 Posts
you can cut the part that the screw goes through then just add a large washer when its in place and you're putting the screw back in, that way you dont have to remove anything. and the washer will keep it in place….if you want to save a lot of time n hassle

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone - I took the swingarm off today and was able to replace the chain wear strip pretty easily. Now I'm having trouble getting the swingarm back on the bike. The rubber washers on the interior of the swingarm attachment points seem to be too thick to get back on the bike. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the swingarm back on? Other than this little hiccup everything has been pretty easy so far! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Now I'm having trouble getting the swingarm back on the bike. The rubber washers on the interior of the swingarm attachment points seem to be too thick to get back on the bike. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the swingarm back on?
Sorry, I wish I could tell you a secret trick to make it easy to get the swingarm back in place but I can't.

Try putting some grease on both sides of those end washers. That will help keep them in place on the swingarm and also help them slide back in between the frame. You just have to make sure that side both sides are lined up perfectly and it should slide right in. If it is not perfectly lined up, you will experience the problem that you are having. Just be patient and take your time, you'll get it back in there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I wish I could tell you a secret trick to make it easy to get the swingarm back in place but I can't.

Try putting some grease on both sides of those end washers. That will help keep them in place on the swingarm and also help them slide back in between the frame. You just have to make sure that side both sides are lined up perfectly and it should slide right in. If it is not perfectly lined up, you will experience the problem that you are having. Just be patient and take your time, you'll get it back in there.
Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a shot today, and see if I can get a friend to help me out to make sure both sides are aligned well. I'll post an update for how it goes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems like the rubber washers (I think the engine diagram calls them 'collars') make the swingarm too wide to fit into the gaps on either side of the engine. I know I got them OFF of there, but getting them back on is proving to be extremely difficult.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to try this out tonight when I get home to see how it works: I'm going to attach the swingarm to the rear shock, so that I eliminate any issues I might be having with sliding the swingarm in at an angle instead of perfectly level. Then I'll be able to hold on the two rubber washers as I slide it forward and hopefully into place. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got it on! I ended up having a friend help, and we slid the washers forward a bit, so that the swingarm attachment points could use them as a shoehorn to get into place, and then I could adjust the washers so they were in the right spots. The holes on the swingarm were slightly misaligned with the holes on the frame, so I used a metal spike to slide into the half-opening on the swingarm attachment point and slide it into place; that really helped the most!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts