TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my 88 t dubs chain won't stay tight. It was every loose( hitting the swing arm) then I adjusted it. Took it for a good 5 hour off-road adventure and came home and the chain was just as loose as before .. And yes I tightened everything back to spec . What do tad think

·
Super Moderator
17,632 Posts
Typical signs of a no good stock chain. Replace the sprockets and the chain. Get a O ring or X ring chain. You will be glad you did. You will only have to adjust it 2 or 3 times and then most likely never again.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
What he said. Sooner than later... since it could cause you quite a bit of grief if it breaks while you're riding the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you guys have a link or website where i can can get the best chain and sprocket set? thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,632 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Hi guys, my 88 t dubs chain won't stay tight. It was every loose( hitting the swing arm) then I adjusted it. Took it for a good 5 hour off-road adventure and came home and the chain was just as loose as before .. And yes I tightened everything back to spec . What do tad think
Guess the question begs to be asked>>>."1988 TW, is this the original chain"? If so, whether a new stock or going with a O or X ring....the chain you have needs to go..

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I've got 3,700 miles on my O-ring chain and still haven't had to adjust it. It's on 3 1/2 on the snails, same as 3,700 miles ago. Great upgrade over the stock chain.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've got 3,700 miles on my O-ring chain and still haven't had to adjust it. It's on 3 1/2 on the snails, same as 3,700 miles ago. Great upgrade over the stock chain.
I have over 3k miles on my X-Ring and still can't go to the next notch on the snails. It's to tight if I do.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The stock chain IS an O-ring chain. I have same issue mine loosens constantly. Also will seem too loose but then adjust to next notch and it's too tight etc.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
This is the thread I started when I needed to replace my chain and sprockets

[video]http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/15193-chain-sprocket-replacement-checklist-procedures-tips.html[/video]

·
Super Moderator
17,632 Posts
The stock chain IS an O-ring chain. I have same issue mine loosens constantly. Also will seem too loose but then adjust to next notch and it's too tight etc.
A stock O-ring chain?? Since when did they start giving us better chains??

Just be careful not to overtighten the chain. I kept trying to keep mine adjusted up all the time and it seemed to cause some premature wear on my front sprocket... just sayin...;)

·
Registered
667 Posts
A stock O-ring chain?? Since when did they start giving us better chains??

Just be careful not to overtighten the chain. I kept trying to keep mine adjusted up all the time and it seemed to cause some premature wear on my front sprocket... just sayin...;)
I'm a little paranoid of it being too loose now since I got stranded when it fell off...

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I'm a little paranoid of it being too loose now since I got stranded when it fell off...
The TW never came stock with an O ring chain! Your bike sure could have one but it was added by the dealer or some previous owner at some point. If the chain is loosening during a ride and the snails are still where they were then what you are noticing is severe chain stretch/wear that needs to be investigated quick. If at any time you decide to upgrade to a new O or X ring chain then just do it right and replace the sprockets at the same time. Done right and all at once you should go a good 10,000 miles on the set with very little maintenance along the way.

GaryL

·
Registered
614 Posts
My stock chain was so bad at 3400kms not miles that it was very loud and I had to keep tightening it.New sprockets and an O ring chain and it was like riding a different bike.My bike was left outside leaning against a tree for two years and then sat in a barn for about four years so I should have put a new one on before I even rode it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts