TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone made a chainsaw bracket to mount a chainsaw to their TW? Looking at whats available online I think I will fabricate my own. Thanks in advance for any tips. 馃檪

Registered
I work as a volunteer supervisor on the El Dorado National Forest, leading dirt bike crews to sweep the trails in the Rock Creek OHV area. After storms we go in to be sure the trails are open so riders do not make any trails around the downed trees or damaged sections of trails. We have found that the best way to carry a chainsaw on our bikes is with a ridged framed back pack. I can't find a photo of one just now, but I'll keep looking. It's not complicated though; a pack, chainsaw scabbard and a couple bungees. Frames are usually found in thrift stores for $15 or so, but even if a new frame is purchased, it is still well under $100 and a lot less than that one for mounting to the trail bike itself. It also allows for portage of extra fuel, bar oil, tools, etc. Some guys leave the pack on the frame and just drop the saw inside the pack and a bungee around the whole thing. Very quick.
Also, I've found that a 14" bar is the primary bar we use. Occasionally a large tree will fall, where a longer bar is needed, but if so, we break the saw down from the bar for easy transport. The frame looks like this;

Registered
Sorta looks like this, but with a shorter bar and a scabbard over the bar. Keeps the operator's hands free when the work is not possible to ride right up to.

saw.png

Here's another style;

Be sure you don't do chainsaw work alone in the woods and make room for a good first aide kit. I also have chainsaw chaps and encourage their use as well.

Registered
I just took some angle iron I had laying around. Cut it down to make a simple rectangle and welded it to my homemade rack. Worked great. Even had room to but the gas and bar oil on the rack. Don't forget to strap a machete to the handle bars. So you can quickly cut overhanging branches without getting off the bike.

Holy crap never haul a saw on your back with a unprotected blade and chain at the base of your head.

Attachments

Registered
That Bill Dart website is pretty cool. Who-da thought?

Thanks for posting Admiral.

Registered
Admiral- thanks for the note. I hope your snow level is dwindling fast...
Not nearly fast enough! :D I'm gonna have to come down to the valley in a couple of weeks to scratch my riding itch. I'm jealous of seeing you out riding.:)

Registered
That Bill Dart website is pretty cool. Who-da thought?

Thanks for posting Admiral.
I bought his map bundle a few years ago. You used to have to email him. I found out about his maps via a few people mentioning the maps and "Bill Dart" on the Adventure Rider Forum. I'm pretty sure he's very well known in the backwoods trail riding community (clubs) but lesser to us lone wolf riders. I had heard he made some chainsaw racks but didn't know he made them more available to all until looking him up and found that he now has a website. He's a big advocate of responsible trail riding (i.e. trail clearing versus going around a downed tree and tearing up and creating braided trails).

I've seen chainsaws carried on racks similar to what Chip showed before and that's the way I will mount my chainsaw this year (or similar to it). Bill Darts chainsaw mounts to the front of the handlebars and I don't think I'd like the weight on the handlebars. I have a hard enough time steering on the trails as it is.:eek:

Registered
I just took some angle iron I had laying around. Cut it down to make a simple rectangle and welded it to my homemade rack. Worked great. Even had room to but the gas and bar oil on the rack. Don't forget to strap a machete to the handle bars. So you can quickly cut overhanging branches without getting off the bike.

Holy crap never haul a saw on your back with a unprotected blade and chain at the base of your head.
Great idea. Now for extra power do the dual sprocket on the rear, run a motorcycle chain and sprocket to the chainsaw. It would take a little tweaking but a dual engine TW.

Registered

Registered
Agawa Canyon - BOREAL21.jpg
Here is a photo.

Registered
Fiskars Sliding Saw.jpg
This is a Fiskars sliding saw that is light weight and quick to use.
There is a 6" and 10" version. I usually carry the 6" version in a side pocket of my Camelback pack.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Chip nicely done! That's exactly what I was thinking. I had a saw on the back of IdahoElkHuntr's bike during our fiasco last September and I did a backflip backwards off his bike when we crashed. My arm caught the unprotected sharp chainsaw blade and cut me open like a spriraled sliced ham.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
K-dub thanks for hand saw suggestions. Fiskars makes some great products. I have an axe, hatchet, loppers and pruners that I have been very happy with. Gotta grab me a folding saw!

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I don鈥檛 know if Bill Dart makes one for a TW but you may want to contact him.

https://billdarttrails.com/product/accessories/chainsaw-mount/
Admiral~ I sent an inquiry to Bill Dart. He doesn't make one for the TW. His mount to the tripple T. I have been noodling a design and almost have mine figured out.

I am going to fabricate it out of aluminum and mount to the front cycle rack. Chainsaw on one side, spare gas and bar oil on the other. Most designs I have seen block the headlight. Could be an issue returning after dark. Stay tuned.

Registered

Having worked in the woods for many years, I Do carry my saw on my shoulder. I do however do not balance it on my shoulder with the bar and the saw to the rear. I put the saw on my shoulder and the bar to the rear holding it there by the handle. If I fall, it is easy to get rid of rather than having the tip of the bar hit the ground and have your neck get cut with the teeth.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
She just rolled off the assembly line! I have invested $11.61 plus a handful of bolts, nylon locking nuts and washers. And a can of spray paint! I don't consider myself much of a Craftsman so not bad for a shop hack!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts