TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i've finally started to work on thinning out the rest of the trees in my yard after the initial clearing to put up the house...

back story: i bought a fully wooded piece of land from my grandparents (who live next door) to build a house on and my grandfather still has some of his stuff on my land which didn't bother me until we got a dog...now i'd like to fence in the yard so the dog can play outside in the yard without being hooked to a run (we live on a heavily traveled road)...to do this i need to thin out some trees, move some stacked firewood, empty/dismantle some sheds, grade/fill/loam/seed the area...so we have begun making runs to the scrap yard to get rid of stuff that he had "collected" over the years (which is a LOT of stuff)...the useful stuff i have been selling for him on craigslist...i have swamp cedar, oak, holly, fir and ash trees (mostly oaks and holly trees) in the yard and i plan to take down almost all of them aside from a few oak trees to provide some shade...i bought a chainsaw when i started clearing the lot for the house in 08...i then came into 4 other chainsaws my grandfather had that didn't run...i sold the ones that i didn't have time to fix and fixed the one that needed the least amount of parts...i then figured i should buy a pair of chaps and learn how to sharpen my own chains so i did...chainsaw sharpener ( Bailey's - Granberg File-N-Joint Precision Filing Guide )...chaps ( Amazon.com: Husqvarna 531309565 Chain Saw Apron Chaps, Navy: Patio, Lawn & Garden )...

i had 60 trees total...this past weekend i dropped 13 of the smaller ones leaving 47 left...the oaks that i want to take out i will probably have a professional take down cause they are huge...the rest i will do myself...anyone have any input on privacy fence materials?...i'm leaning towards plastic at the moment but i'm sure i could change my mind

work that needs to be done...
1 cut trees
2 move cut wood to grandparents yard and post on craigslist for sale
3 dispose of branches
4 burn scrap wood housed in shed #1 / move & restack firewood from my yard to my grandparents yard
5 dismantle and burn shed #1
6 move shed #2 from my yard to my grandparents yard
7 cut down a few more oak trees in the yard
8 split & sell firewood
9 take down and burn old wood fence dividing yards
10 take down and scrap old chain link fence dividing yards
11 have a contractor pull/grind the stumps, push rock to perimeter of yard for rock wall, grade, loam and seed the yard
12 put up new shed
13 transfer stuff from shed #2 to new shed
14 put shed #2 on craigslist for free or dismantle and burn
15 have a fence contractor install a new fence

before the house...

clearing for the house...

leftover trees (yard has been graded since this photo)...

house lot...

weapon of choice...

beasty (which i will probably sell after i'm done with this work)...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cut fence posts from your own felled trees. I like wood over plastic. The plastic gets dirty and most of the time doesn't get pressure washed as often as necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cut fence posts from your own felled trees. I like wood over plastic. The plastic gets dirty and most of the time doesn't get pressure washed as often as necessary.
good to know, thanks...i would imagine wood would be easier to replace and more readily available...the only thing i worry about is i have rather large bonfires that are frowned upon by the fire department so where a wood fence would lack is the privacy since you could see the fire light through the pickets but a plastic fence can be a solid section

That looks like a lot of work? Did you pull those stumps with the TW? :D
lol...the excavation company pushed those oaks over for me with their machine...only thing the TW would have done is dig a moat around them if i had hooked it up and let it rip ;)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I'm tired out just looking at your cut down trees. :)

I recently put up a board on board wood fence. The previous wood fence in the same location lasted 20 years.

Plastic will probably last longer, no rot or termites , but I prefer the look and feel of real wood.

jb

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm tired out just looking at your cut down trees. :)

I recently put up a board on board wood fence. The previous wood fence in the same location lasted 20 years.

Plastic will probably last longer, no rot or termites , but I prefer the look and feel of real wood.

jb
that looks awesome!....i would like to do wood i just think that being able to see through the spaces between the pickets isn't going to be something i like just due to my bonfires and the potential for a $500 fine (which i've already been warned about)...i def would like to do metal posts anchored in concrete so i don't ever have to dig up wooden ones when they rot cause i will be doing that soon at my parents house

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
that looks awesome!....i would like to do wood i just think that being able to see through the spaces between the pickets...e
The board on board fence panels have no space between the boards... Can't see through it.

6 ft. x 8 ft. Pressure Treated Pine Heavy Duty Board-on-Board Fence Panel-SP 63259 at The Home Depot

The panels in the photo are from Lowes.

If you have a nail gun that will shoot ring shank galvanized nails, it's not hard to build your own.

Simpson Strong Ties makes a bracket to attach wooden fencing to metal posts.

PGT® Pipe Grip Ties

Jb

·
Registered
789 Posts
Home Depot has these metal recievers for 4x4 posts that you sink in concrete. Way nicer than having wood posts rot in 5 years. The fence panels make for real fast assembly of a fence. As stated, some models are tight an can't be seen through. Plastic is forever but is plastic. When I lived in Southern California you had to use concrete block construction (with broken glass imbedded on top) to keep stray bullets out........Hey what does this have to do with TWs?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The board on board fence panels have no space between the boards... Can't see through it.

6 ft. x 8 ft. Pressure Treated Pine Heavy Duty Board-on-Board Fence Panel-SP 63259 at The Home Depot

The panels in the photo are from Lowes.

If you have a nail gun that will shoot ring shank galvanized nails, it's not hard to build your own.

Simpson Strong Ties makes a bracket to attach wooden fencing to metal posts.

PGT® Pipe Grip Ties

Jb
nice!...so if you get close to the fence and look at it from an angle you can't see through it?...if i go wood i will def be using those metal post connectors

Home Depot has these metal recievers for 4x4 posts that you sink in concrete. Way nicer than having wood posts rot in 5 years. The fence panels make for real fast assembly of a fence. As stated, some models are tight an can't be seen through. Plastic is forever but is plastic. When I lived in Southern California you had to use concrete block construction (with broken glass imbedded on top) to keep stray bullets out........Hey what does this have to do with TWs?
the receivers are an awesome idea as well!...nothing to do with TWs but has all to do with asking questions from a bunch of people who have good ideas regarding TWs so they must have other good ideas...i always have to do my homework before i take on a project ;)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
nice!...so if you get close to the fence and look at it from an angle you can't see through it?... ;)
Yes, each board overlaps the adjacent one by about 1"...can't see through it.

jb

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
few progress photos...up to 42 cut...18 left...at least 7 of the 18 i will cut myself...and 4 or 5 of the 18 i will have cut by a pro...the rest will stay

all this work...i hope he appreciates it...

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dropped 3 more holly trees yesterday after work...hoping to get the last 3 holly trees tonight (still will have 1 oak left to drop) but these 3 hollys will be tricky due to the fact that they are near a shed with large glass windows as well as near my house and all the weight is on one side towards the shed...the block and tackle will be doing some work tonight...probably just cut the wedge and pull them down slow with the block and tackle without a back cut so they go the right way

·
Registered
124 Posts
to those who commented on the fence:
If the boards had been alternatively placed on each side of the horizontal 2x4s, it would still be difficult to see through and wind loading wouldn't be such an issue. Good Luck with that.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
well the last 3 holly trees went down yesterday...now to get rid of the branches and sell off some wood...48 of 60 trees cut...

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks...yea i'm not a huge fan of holly trees or leaf blowing/raking...these had been there for about a long time i bet by the size of some of them and they were all crammed in a small area so they were reaching out for light and all strange shapes...plus the leaves are prickly and they shed during the summer...now i'll be down to all big oak trees

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Nice job! Can you imagine what it was like back in the day when they did all that and more with an axe and a hand saw?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts