TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Little info. would be nice. Recently completed and oil change at 2k. After completion I made sure I loosened the bolt up top and oil was flowing out. But after riding I was noticing a slight ping type sound that is coming from the top of the engine. Could this be a valve out of adjustment? Everything indicates that the oil change was correct (correct amount of oil, good filter, oil coming out from top bolt). The only thing I changed was the oil type. Went from 20/50 to 10/40 (starting to cool off her in MT.)

It is by no means a knock. Just a light ping type sound. At first I thought my exhaust was loose but after letting it cool, all was tight. I have never checked the valve clearance ( I know they suggest it at 400mi but I just never got around to it).

anyways....am I just being a nervous nelly or should I break down and check them?

another note, there is no performance lost at all..power throughout rpm range and all gears.

also, not impressed with yamalube.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Did you replace the oil filter, and if so, did you make sure there are four holes drilled in the end with the larger rubber gasket? A lot of folks talk about that problem of people buying filters without the holes and seizing up their engines. I am so paranoid that I check the filter before I even pay for it.

Dan

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you replace the oil filter, and if so, did you make sure there are four holes drilled in the end with the larger rubber gasket? A lot of folks talk about that problem of people buying filters without the holes and seizing up their engines. I am so paranoid that I check the filter before I even pay for it.

Dan

I am with ya, no its the right filter. This should be verified by the fact that oil is getting to the top of the engine (through the top bolt)!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Oh, sorry, I kind of missed that part. Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way of trying to help someone on a motorcycle forum

Anyhow, I don't really have any other ideas, being new to the TW200 and all.

Dam

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi, there.

I wonder that how many miles on your TW200 ??

Mine had similar sounds when I had changed oil for the break-in periods.

Currently, it went over 2000 miles ??, and the little "tick tick" sounds from engine head parts was almost (99%) gone.

I remember from other threads about this issue, and the sounds wasn't big problem .

It is from "Valve and/or Cam" break-in sounds >> which I read about from.

Not sure for your case, some other may help you about it !!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
What oil did you use?

I used Rotella once based on the advice of this board and there was a ticking / pinging after.

So I changed it again with Silkolene 20/50 that I had been using and it went away immediately.

-Larry

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What oil did you use?

I used Rotella once based on the advice of this board and there was a ticking / pinging after.

So I changed it again with Silkolene 20/50 that I had been using and it went away immediately.

-Larry
Honestly, I am leaning to doing the same thing going back to the Mobile 1 v-twin 20/50.

Just not that impressed with the yamalube 10 /40! Shifting and clutch feels a little more "stiff". As well as just more general noise!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rotella is bad I only got thirty thousand miles from my 07' TW and had to do a top end overhaul. Bottom operates like new.

My TW engine has had Rotella in it since it was new. I run the hell out of that little bike but I do maintain it. That oil has done it's job. I run Rotella in my very expensive diesel engines. 10K, 20k and more $.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Rotella is bad I only got thirty thousand miles from my 07' TW and had to do a top end overhaul. Bottom operates like new.

My TW engine has had Rotella in it since it was new. I run the hell out of that little bike but I do maintain it. That oil has done it's job. I run Rotella in my very expensive diesel engines. 10K, 20k and more $.

I don't get it, Rotella is bad, but all you use is Rotella and it's done it's job? Could you clarify that please?

I'm only asking because that's what I use in my other bike. I have not used it in the TW yet but would like to if it's okay for it. Supposedly, it's the best oil for older bikes but I haven't been told anything about it for newer bikes.

Dan

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
[quote name='dhoenisch' date='13 August 2010 - 05:50 PM' timestamp='1281750642' post='1697']

I don't get it, Rotella is bad, but all you use is Rotella and it's done it's job? Could you clarify that please?

Sarcasm

I run it in everything I own. My last KLR650 was sold at 80,000 miles. I still see it around town occasionally. My current one just hit 40,000. It needed its first valve shim at 32,000.

Rotella sucks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts