TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to think of various changes by year to the USA TW200 – so feel free to chime in on this …..

1987: One off electrical system, some of it AC, such as the head light. Reports of CDI failure. “Unsubstantiated” reports that this year was the fastest, but the ’87 did have a slightly tweaked CDI advance curve.

1988: Revised electrical system, mostly DC.

1987 to 1991 and 1992 to 2000 front brake shoes different sizes - choose replacements with care (see post #33 on this thread)

1996: Front fork drain screws discontinued.

2001: Changed to disc brake model. Rear foot peg off set changed. Charging system upgraded from 35W to 55W. CV carb introduced, with throttle cables coming in from the other side. Inlet manifold dimensions changed slightly to accommodate CV carb. Kick starter assembly no longer included (but can be added later). Trip meter added, Some electical connectors changed. Handlebar controls updated. Introduced automatic cam chain adjuster. Exhaust mounting changed (see post #17)

2002: Smaller diameter fuel cap.

2006: Multiple (increased) reports of leaking base cylinder gasket - see post #21 (Solution is to re-torque, or order later gasket which was stronger).

2009: Base gasket problem resolved at factory.

2017: Rear shock unit changed (no improvement).

See post #26 regarding spoke diameters - " '99 has 3.5mm spokes, '15 has 4.0mm spokes"

Throughout the years the CDI part number keeps changing, but how relevant this is has yet to be determined, though it’s likely to be a connector type issue rather than a performance issue. Details of CDI part numbers by year can be found here - https://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/19745-tw-cdi-units-year.html

Any corrections or additions welcomed – this is a joint “hive mind” effort. Once it settles down we can “sticky” it.

Of particular interest, is the stator assembly, and the crankcase housing it – any info on that issue appreciated.

I’ll edit this first post as we go along …..

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Dyno results DID prove the mighty 87 WAS just a little faster... :p

·
Registered
167 Posts
2001 9k miles base gasket leaking.

2018 According to Happy Trails the muffler mounting has been changed to put it further in side the frame. Need to check tail light location mounts compared to older models. Seems like they way moved also.
This according to HT when I went to mount HT tail and side racks to a 2001. Going by the way the bolt holes were off I can sorta believe it.

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
816 Posts
2001+. trip meter added, electical connectors changes throughout the bike along with the other electrical changes. handlebar controls updated, throttle cables changes along with the carb and throttle tube. automatic cam chain adjuster.

somewhere early on the rear tire changed. too bad cause I liked the old style one much better.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Great thread Purple. A lot of stuff I did not know. I can’t think of any additions.

I just noticed the 96 I picked up recently has no fork drain bolts. Still has the drum brake up front. Can I assume those are not the original forks??? Any other signs or differences I should look for on the forks? Thanks and cheers.

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wasn't entirely sure about the year the fork drain bolts went - i'll probably move it to '96 - although my '98 has them (Japanese import, different beast)

Can anyone else confirm or deny this ?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
The secret to the fast 87 is out. It was one tooth higher geared. a 49 as opposed to the 50. Not much, just a slight edge, who would have known.
Nope, not in the U.S.A.

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curious - both manuals say 14/50 as well - if you shop around, information varies from 47/49/50

Post edited ......

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
the front muffler bolt location is aprx 1" different starting in 2001 I don't see it moving the exhaust further "inside" the frame it's just 1" different than the pre 2001 models and you can actually drill an extra hole in the stock frame tab (theres enough room) to bolt on pre and post 2001 mufflers

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ken - Doesn’t sound like there’s much difference in performance or we would have heard about it (though the ’87 has an advance curve that has been documented as “unique”). It seems to be the connectors that have changed over the years, possibly with the wiring colours

In all probability, if you knew what you were doing, you could use ’88 to ’18 — take Tombaures (sp) mods for example which confirm this — the engine hasn’t changed over the years

The difference in part numbers is more likely to do with the connectors, but trying to keep track of the changes to the wiring loom is almost impossible, despite the manual indicating otherwise ….

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Trying to think of various changes by year to the TW200 – so feel free to chime in on this …..

1987: One off electrical system, some of it DC. Reports of CDI failure. “Unsubstantiated” reports that this year was the fastest, but the ’87 did have a slightly tweaked CDI advance curve.

1988: Revised electrical system, mostly AC.

19XX: Front fork drain screws discontinued. (Awaiting conformation of exact year).

2001: Changed to disc brake model. Rear foot peg off set changed. Charging system upgraded from 35W to 55W. Smaller diameter fuel cap(2002). CV carb introduced, with throttle cables coming in from the other side. Inlet manifold dimensions changed slightly to accommodate CV carb. Kick starter assembly no longer included (but can be added later). Trip meter added, Some electrical connectors changed. Handlebar controls updated. Introduced automatic cam chain adjuster. Exhaust mounting changed (see post #17)

2007/2006: Multiple (increased) reports of leaking base cylinder gasket. (Solution is to re-torque, or order later gasket which was stronger).

2009: Base gasket problem resolved at factory.

2017: Rear shock unit changed (no improvement).

Throughout the years the CDI part number keeps changing, but how relevant this is has yet to be determined, though it’s likely to be a connector type issue rather than a performance issue. Details of CDI part numbers by year can be found here - http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/19745-tw-cdi-units-year.html

Any corrections or additions welcomed – this is a joint “hive mind” effort. Once it settles down we can “sticky” it.

Of particular interest, is the stator assembly, and the crankcase housing it – any info on that issue appreciated.

I’ll edit this first post as we go along …..

Couple changes.

Reactions: Purple
1 - 20 of 43 Posts