TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
base gasket problem actually started with the 2003 years IMO and 2001 is the year for the disc etc change

Ordering the 2010 gasket was the original fix before clever folks tried the re torque and making sure the threads are clean with a tap

·
Registered
226 Posts
Comparing my 99 and 94. The 99 on the right side of the frame just behind the steering stem there is a wire loop to retain the wire harness. On the 94 it is a straight wire to do the same job.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Comparing my 99 to my 15 other than the changes already listed my 99 has 3.5mm spokes, 15 has 4.0mm spokes, the 15 has hex head bolts on the clutch and stator covers instead of JIS screws (easy upgrade). An earlier post mentions the old W32 rear tire which I also preferred to the W34. It was slightly wider and shorter than the W34 and in my opinion a much better tire in sand.

Edit: On my 15 it is only the front wheel that has 4mm spokes. The rear remains at 3.5mm. Another little note is that the 3.5mm spoke nipples require a 5.6 wrench and the 4mm spoke nipples require a 6.0mm wrench.

·
Registered
386 Posts
electric changes at disc model, start relay different includes fuse, only uses the white relay, (much better system)
head bearing were loose on early models??
thick starter wire goes up and over the top of the engine into the side case on 01 models, goes under left side case on pre 01

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an '87 with a kickstart lever. Most other years don't seem to have one. Wasn't that only for the first year or two?

·
Super Moderator
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
They included a kick start from '87 through to 2000 - post 2000 (2001) came with electric only

Ironically, the Japanese market bikes and the European all come with the kicker regardless of year - just another example of how hard done by you Americans are I guess :p

Welcome to the board ..... ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
the japanese ones also have a nice round head light and indicators...oh, and they also have the 225 version, with nice styles speedo/dash, shorter back end!

·
Super Moderator
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks supachip1 - got a rather nice 225 here in my garage - but this thread is for the USA market - (they'd only get jealous otherwise) ..... ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
2003 - switched to black rims. Color change only, no change to size or spokes, etc. Not sure if this was covered yet. Cheers

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Did Purple mention that some years have different colour plastics too? Or is it color in the USA?;)

Here is some dyno charts for the '87 vs. an '02. Little Tommy will be pleased.:p Here is a '87
. dyno87.jpg

Here is an '02 dyno 02.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Appreciate this information

My 2002 has the larger gas cap. Did they change mid model year?
Thanks for your info on model year changes>

21 - 40 of 43 Posts