TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First question is, when you turn on the key on the tw does the headlight, front signals, and tail light come on and stay on as running lights. I had asked on another forum if changing all to led's would lessen the draw of all those running lights. The answer was yes, but if you don't use that saved draw then you'd be causing another problem. Here's their response. Just wanted to get a second opinion.

" With the idea to reduce power consumption, keep in mind how the electrical system works. The stator makes a fixed amount of power when the engine is running. There isn't any fancy on/off circuitry for variable output like modern car alternators have. If the bike doesn't consume that power, it's released in the form of heat through the regulator/rectifier. So if you drastically reduce the electrical load, that makes the reg/rec run that much hotter. Typically when people replace everything with LED's, the goal is to free up power for some other accessories (heated gear, GPS, etc.) so the base electrical load isn't changed significantly. "

Thanks---Kenny4

·
Registered
608 Posts
Wow! I know electricity but I never thought about how this type of charging system actually works. That is great info there kenny4.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well is it correct or not is the issue though. It sounds good, but I don't have a clue as to the balance of stator output and usage is concerned. Someone in the know will chime in.

Kenny4

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
Yes, it will run hotter, which is why there is a heat sink on it

No, it won't do any harm - for years, motorcycles have run with no lights on, without burning out the regulators

It's a pointless argument, with no end, that proves nothing .....

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daughter just bought a 2000 TW200. The rt blinker does not work. I know very little. When you put on the blinker the front one comes on solid and the rear does not come on. Does this sound like just a bulb or some electrical problem? Sorry for butting in, but I do not know how to ask a question of my own on this forum, I dont know much about computers either!

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
It's fine - we can fit it in

Either you have a blown bulb, or a dodgy connection (probably in the indicator itself). The cure for the first one is simply to buy a new bulb and swap things around a bit - the answer to the second is to either buy or make a tester

Welcome to the board ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts