TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to change my 49 tooth rear sprocket (for a 47 or 45, I can't decide) but I wonder if I can just change the rear sprocket without changing the front one and without changing the O-ring chain? I know it's best to change everything at once but the current sprockets and chain were changed by the last owner and they were used for 620 miles only. It is too late to change the rear sprocket ?

Wheel Bicycle Crankset Tire Bicycle tire

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for suggestions!
About the choice of sprocket (47T or 45T), I read a lot of different points of view. My goal is to ride 95% on the road without hills (city) and I weigh 220 pounds. I would like to be able to ride at 60 mph without the rpm being too high... Is it realistic ?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alain, you already have a 47 tooth installed! I can tell from your picture. It is a JT Sprocket. The model number is stamped on it: JTR1842-47. JT is the manufacturer. R=Rear, and that 47 means it's a 47 tooth version of their model 1842. The 49 on there under the logo denotes that it is made from C49 High Carbon Steel.
Wow, you have a great sense of observation! I just counted and indeed, I have a 47 tooth sprocket. The guy who sold me the bike this fall told me he had changed the rear sprocket for a 49 and it was written 49 on it, that seemed logical to me! Thank you, I would have looked really stupid to change my 47 for another 47!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts