TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find any positive battery leads to enable easy charging without taking the seat off, and with repeated carb issues and cold blooded nature, I often cranked the battery down trying to start the bike.

My solution was to install a charging tail.

charging tail.jpg

I supposed I could have installed a female bullet connector for added ease but I hope you don't all reply saying I missed an obvious charging connector already on the bike somewhere!

Did I?

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts

·
Registered
19,405 Posts
An almost universal solution here is to simply wire in a flat 2-pole polarized 12v plug available at most automotive suppliers for a few dollars. Never seen the wire nut option, looks vulnerable. If you keep the exposed wire with wire nut I would suggest an inline fuse to protect against a catastrophic short circuit. plug.jpg

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I just added a pig-tail to the '91 xr250L I purchased. One of the first things I did. This bike is "kick-only" so you definitely want to make sure the battery is charged all the time. It'll start without the battery too but pretty cold-blooded.

I already have the Battery Tender (get a "plus" smart model, not the BT Jr.). The pig-tails can be bought separate. My local Yamaha dealer sells them for $6.00. Direct battery hook-up and can be used to power other things too.

One of the tiniest AGM batteries for starting, turn signals and lighting I've ever seen.
IMG_6807.JPG

Like sipping a fine wine.
IMG_6808.JPG

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
They don’t come stock with a connector. If your carb starts leaking, be careful with things that create sparks in that area. Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a battery tender I can share so I'll pick up an extra pig tail. I think they include the fuse but I'll add one if not.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
That lead you hooked up is incredibly dangerous as others have said. If that wire nut comes loose and you get a short, the heat generated in the wire would melt it, possibly start a fire, possibly explode the battery. so get rid of it fast. Get the plug Fred showed you, and you can also use it to plug in all kinds of temporary accessories, like a GPS, phone charger, etc. A fused one is best, but a straight polarized flat plug is OK too and the positive lead is protected. They are available all over the place and only cost a few dollars. Just hang it supported under the bike somewhere or sticking out where you can get to it.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I've got a battery tender I can share so I'll pick up an extra pig tail. I think they include the fuse but I'll add one if not.

Thank you all.
Yes, they come with a fuse. Get rid of that "MadMax" set-up as soon as you can.
However... nice ingenuity anyways.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've done this to all my bikes now. Moved the charging port to the dash area, and I use it to charge, run my gps, volt meter and I have a usb port for the phone or camera batteries. Very handy.
Great ideas, all around

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That lead you hooked up is incredibly dangerous as others have said. If that wire nut comes loose and you get a short, the heat generated in the wire would melt it, possibly start a fire, possibly explode the battery. so get rid of it fast. Get the plug Fred showed you, and you can also use it to plug in all kinds of temporary accessories, like a GPS, phone charger, etc. A fused one is best, but a straight polarized flat plug is OK too and the positive lead is protected. They are available all over the place and only cost a few dollars. Just hang it supported under the bike somewhere or sticking out where you can get to it.
I will. Thank you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
19,405 Posts
Once you have the power plug up on the dash, or wherever, you can see there are many ways to take power out as well as feed 12v in to charge battery. You can do everything from slowly charging a dead automotive battery in you haul vehicle to a simple USB port for your phone/gps/tablet,etc. You can jump start another TW as long as starter draw is not on for too long...things get hot. Best practical use I recall was that clever forum member evan leaving his pannier packed 12v compressor hooked up to quickly re-inflate a flat tire while we were trail riding. He was so good at quickly re-inflating that hissing nail pierced tire that he beat me back to base many a mile away. I never caught up with him after he took off...I followed as a lazy sweep figuring I'ld find him around each new corner but he was gone!

Not hard to make up additional pigtails for each of the above applications.... 2-pole to 2-pole, 2-pole to alligator clamps, 2-pole to cigarette lighter socket, 2-pole to usb, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts