TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Checking in Monday to Friday on TW200 Forum.

On my Breaks and lunch and between jobs this is how I keep up. 10746878_10204023134890763_2106823428_o.jpg

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
^^^What Mad Max Said^^^ ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,934 Posts
^^Retirement Newbies^^
Been enjoying "retirement" for 10 years now..:cool:

Just teasing ya, enjoy it! We waited all our lives for this to get here!

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Retired at 53 back in 2002 Tommy...and even though my pocket book took a hit, I would not change it....wife retired from teaching after the 2013 school year, but she still teaches 25 hours a week and I still umpire and officiate, thus giving us spending money while the retirement bucks pay the bills....I recommend that any younger guys and gals retire early if they are able, after all, you cannot take it with you, and why let the kids and Uncle Sam fight over what's left....we have good life insurance and they can have that and the house, the rest I plan on spending, and contributing to my special causes...

Enjoy Life, it flies by in the blink of an eye:D

·
Super Moderator
17,934 Posts
I was 53 too Hoot. Wish I could have done it at 40..

·
Registered
198 Posts
This is the last year of actively farming the same ground that my grandpa, father and brother & I have been farming since 1917. At 67, I look forward to retiring and just putting around the perimeter on a TW and watching a renter do it next year. I feel like I've earned it......at least my body does!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks, Fred......yeah, it's sad, really. When I was a kid working for neighbors, I started out making a dollar/hour. Then, later on, we started getting $1.25/ hour......a whole sawbuck for eight hours af pretty strenuous work. You can't even hire a kid anymore.....they refuse to work!

It's true about the 'agribusiness' end of it, too. I remember every farmer around here raised hogs, cattle, chickens, alfalfa, soybeans, corn....AND grew a big garden. Not anymore. You never see any animals on farms these days. All are raised in confinement operations and all the farms are specialized. Corn & soybeans or hay and the farms are HUGE. I'm glad I'm as old as I am and can remember how we were diversified and I looked forward to each new year........no more. I've had enough.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Thanks, Fred......yeah, it's sad, really. When I was a kid working for neighbors, I started out making a dollar/hour. Then, later on, we started getting $1.25/ hour......a whole sawbuck for eight hours af pretty strenuous work. You can't even hire a kid anymore.....they refuse to work!

It's true about the 'agribusiness' end of it, too. I remember every farmer around here raised hogs, cattle, chickens, alfalfa, soybeans, corn....AND grew a big garden. Not anymore. You never see any animals on farms these days. All are raised in confinement operations and all the farms are specialized. Corn & soybeans or hay and the farms are HUGE. I'm glad I'm as old as I am and can remember how we were diversified and I looked forward to each new year........no more. I've had enough.
Need to pay a visit to Mercer County, Ohio Wolfy....family farms are alive and well...sure we have Coopers Mega Meats, which produce Turkeys by the trainload for the grocery stores nationwide, but the family dairy, hog, and chicken farms are alive and well, passed down from generation to generation....and Mercer County is still by far the larges Grain producing county in the state, mainly corn, wheat, and soybeans......guess that's why an acre of farm land is still going at rates of $7000 or more an acre.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
This is the last year of actively farming the same ground that my grandpa, father and brother & I have been farming since 1917. At 67, I look forward to retiring and just putting around the perimeter on a TW and watching a renter do it next year. I feel like I've earned it......at least my body does!
Funny, but we make more money, more consistently, crop leasing than farming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts