TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I couldn't bring myself to pay the prices d-flex or acerbis ask for theirs and I gambled on some no name knock offs. My friends have had luck and no issues with them so I thought I take a gamble on some. Mostly happy with them and all appears to be well made except one somewhat important detail..
1ddd5464e6d6cc266f20431079511f27--dual-sport-motorcycles-hands.jpg

The bar end inserts have thin rubber tubes, and the metal is too soft to provide any pressure against the bar aside from where the nut is. The nut bottoms out at the base of the slot and leaves the inserts sloppy, loose, and easy to pull out. Aside from this they fit great with no modification aside from snipping the stock zip ties.

The only options I'm aware of are
1 - find a thicker rubber tubing
2- order a new insert assembly
3- spend more money then I want an buy the expensive brand name ones.

Right now I'm between the first two options...any suggestions?

Otherwise just wanted to share my experience....if this is helpful at all I won't mind if you "like it" lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had these same cheap knock off hand guards on my BW200.

Use some automotive fuel line instead of the original rubber & switch up to bigger bolts/nuts if needed. This should allow it to compress properly and get some good grip.

You may need to grind the nut shoulders down smooth to make it able to fit inside the handle bar ... and aftermarket aluminum bars may need to be drilled deeper to give room for the hardware.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks

That's reassuring to hear. I considered some fuel line but I haven't got anything on hand the right size..I guess I have take the insert to some shops and see what I can find.

Funny thing is the ebay listing says "Indexed steel bar-end insert mounts solid and will not allow guard to rotate in a crash"..not so much. I asked them to remove that line from their listing.

If the metal was harder it might not get bent back so easy by the inner wall of the tube...maybe a longer nut would give more surface area....if I can get one rigged up to pin in the sleeve slot and draw up the bold.

If ya want it done right you either got to do it yourself or pay a lot of money...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey neighbour. Those appear to be the same ones I helped a friend put on her little CRF150. They come with the spreader piece, and a piece of plastic tubing to fill in the space for our 7/8" bars?
If so, electrical tape is what I used... Snug up the tapered nut, slide the piece of tubing over it, then wrap the length of the tubing with electrical tape until it just fits inside the bars. Taking up all that space first lets it start gripping as soon as it starts to tighten. Not the optimal set-up, but it works and they ended up being nice and solid.
If you want an awesome set of cheap guards, have a look here:
Handguards...Saved my $$ and my balls. - www.DRRiders.com
You should be able to see details, and the seller in my thread there.

Am I allowed to link to an eBay ad? If not, please let me know and I'll remove the link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorful-Brush-Bar-Hand-Guards-Handguard-For-7-8-Universal-handlebar-Motorcycle/351901895353?hash=item51eefccab9:m:mFVPgL5qCQ7imi7mTl8s1Yw

They look like they have a thin piece of aluminum in the pictures but it's thick and it's strong, but soft enough to be able to bend for fitment without it cracking. And the large wind deflectors are strong, and block a pile of wind off your hands on chilly days.

Skinwalker initially posted a link to them as part of his build thread. I bought a set, they were awesome. I faceplanted going down a washout and it went down hard enough to bend the bars..the left handguard took all the force and held up fine except from a big scratch on the plastic.
I sold the TW, and bought a DR650..everybody pays big money for the big name guards for the DR because the long levers won't clear most of the cheaper guards. I took a chance and ordered another pair from the same seller, and after installing 2 washers as shims, they fit perfectly.

They have solid clamps. I tend to go 'gorilla tight', and never stripped a fastener on them, even after my crash and removing them and swapping over to my new ATV-hi bars. The spreader has a slotted aluminum tube that slides over it rather than rubber, and the spreader bolts are good quality and have an allen head rather than phillips like some of the cheap ones. Like any multi-fit guard, they require a bit of bending to get everything linking up perfectly, but it's not hard. With the tube for 7/8" bars they're still a tiny bit loose (as are any) so I put a few wraps of electrical tape to take up that slack (out at the solid end of the spacer tube) and they were SOLID...repeated the same process with the set I put on the DR650, just as solid. For the price, they cannot be beat.

<Edit> And I still have a box of TW parts that nobody snatched up. If you're up this way and want to give them a new home, I won't even charge you the case of beer mentioned in the original post. http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/50137-few-tw-parts-moncton-nb-canada.html

2 Pics

View attachment 150922

Guards2.jpg

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Nice and timely endorsement Fishguy as I just ordered a set of Skinwalker's recommended hand guards last night for my second TW.
Bike came equipped with cheap hand guards like those in the first post only they were entirely plastic without the aluminum core. One broke when bike fell over in the garage. I repaired the fracture but never trusted the repair.
Other bike had installed a set identical to post #1 and the aluminum core broke first time bike fell over as well as breaking the clutch lever. This was not fun as it occurred deep in a technical Moab trail where use of the clutch was desirable.
So lesson I learned was the replacement D-flex are significantly better for the rough and tumble trails I sometimes get into.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I also have the D-Flex and depending on style seem to hover just below or over $50.00 for a complete kit. I felt that was pretty cheap compared to a lot others for the build and quality.
Bike has taken one really hard fall on pavement with full-force directly on the right side hand guard. Other than some rough scratches to the plastic, the guard itself did not move, bend or break. Your hand will appreciate that.
There are much better and more expensive one out there but for $50 bucks that's exactly what I paid for.
They are also very easy to install on a TW.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Are the BWs street legal or can they be made street legal in either US or Canada? Pretty sure I’ll never find one, but dang they are cool. Are those the stock rims? Cheers and great thread
The BW was a trail only bike .... depending on your state/province you might be able to get it on the road and legal .... but DOT approved tire options might not exist.

Everything on mine was stock except for the exhaust system/pegs and bars. They are great bikes and my BW project was what led me to the TW project I have on the go now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So I couldn't bring myself to pay the prices d-flex or acerbis ask for theirs and I gambled on some no name knock offs. My friends have had luck and no issues with them so I thought I take a gamble on some. Mostly happy with them and all appears to be well made except one somewhat important detail..
View attachment 150786

The bar end inserts have thin rubber tubes, and the metal is too soft to provide any pressure against the bar aside from where the nut is. The nut bottoms out at the base of the slot and leaves the inserts sloppy, loose, and easy to pull out. Aside from this they fit great with no modification aside from snipping the stock zip ties.

The only options I'm aware of are
1 - find a thicker rubber tubing
2- order a new insert assembly
3- spend more money then I want an buy the expensive brand name ones.

Right now I'm between the first two options...any suggestions?

Otherwise just wanted to share my experience....if this is helpful at all I won't mind if you "like it" lol.
I have cheap set like that on my tw with limited success. I still break a lever as the guards rotate in a tip over on rough terrain. I have a honda xr as well and those i use the aluminum ones as the protection is way more than the other ones.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Rotating and leaving my levers exposed is my concern right now...I'm hoping to avoid it. I'm hesitant to use electrical tape since it's adhesion is next to none (especially in heat), but I may consider a similar option if I can't find a suitable tubing. Maybe some shoe goo coated over it. I don't drive on road or around many large rocks often so I'm ok with that risk for now. I might upgrade them later.

Any advice here regarding cheaper alternatives, pros, cons, solutions...greatly appreciated. It's a useful resource for those inclined to consider this route for hand guards.

Edit..

Getting anything street legal that's new or custom is very difficult here in Nova Scotia at least. I know of a chopper being built by a well known respected builder who couldn't get a $60 000 chopper with a 300 rear tire approved when the OCC show was really popular.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I recently put a set of the same on my 2010..
The first one I had trouble with and had to take back apart and insure the ridge on the expanding nut lined up with the slit portion of the expander. I actually found the thin clear filler tubing to be a tight fit in my new Protaper bars. Even after insuring there were no burs or rough spots inside.
After working them a bit to get them fully seated they seem extremely secure and very tight. I did have to move my break lever housing in slightly to insure lever clearance. I give them great "Marks", but caution that you insure expander and expander nut are lined up correctly with a extra amount of engagement by slightly tightening them a bit before inserting.
While initially beining to tighten or swell the expander don't stop, and decide to back it out to loosen it for any reason.. At that point I found it gets handy to use a compressor to blow the expander nut out of the bar from the other end ( which hopefully is not completely installed and finished ) after it comes loose and comes off from the end of the expander bolt. 9jDON'T ASK HOW I KNOW, but I was lucky the other end of the bar was still open.
I will say that though the product seems fine, the total lack of instructions include really sucked.
Mine were labeled SRT an I got them for $20 complete on "Clearance" at a local dirt bike accessory shop.

excalibur

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I was fortunate to have the same advice during my initial install. Though I found if you unfasten the bolt and tap it with a hammer in a vice the nut can be worked out easily, but once the expanding parts are embedded in your bars you might have more trouble removing them.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Your bars must have a smaller ID.

no casualties with the compressor? hehe..."Warning inbound ballistic missile" So that was you wasn't it!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well, I have to admit that I bought set of clone Acerbis on ebay for all of $39.....and gifted them to a member. The actual hand guards were not bad but the hardware to attach them to the handle bars were complete trash in my opinion.........:(
As soon as I find a suitable spot for a GPS on the handle bars....I will buy a set of Tusk if there is still room and if not a set of shorty levers and keep the old ones as spares.....:)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Fred I appreciate your wisdom but at the same rate if I simply took the advice of those who were better informed I'd be driving an xt250. No regrets on that one.:D

The best anyone can do is take the information available and make their own decision...It's like buying a big box store mountain bike...be very careful riding it down the mountain as it's not a downhill bike.

In my case I'm not throwing my bike around (5 low speed drops in 3 years, come to think of it none of those were the last year) and unless I accidentally prove it will hold up then I will eventually upgrade it. . After the new tire, fork oil, and fender I just bought, the cheap hand guards are my current spending limit.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just be careful then. "Hand Guard" is just supposed to do that... protect your hand. When you put the word "cheap" in front of it less expensive at the cost of doing what it's supposed to do comes to mind.
That fall my bike took, it was my wife riding. I assure you her hand would have been shattered without these guards and I know there are even better ones out there. Fortunately she just made a trip to the Emergency Room and six (6) stitches to her knee. That was a $4000.00 bill by the way (I think $100 co-pay to me). So the difference between $20 and $50 can translate as false savings further on down the road.

I like your line about shudda got the XT instead. Ha, sometimes I feel that way too. But the TW is good fun for now. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Don't wait to long. Did this the other day. Rode around for 2-3 more hours with no front brake and it was only bad because I'm a front brake user. Didn't let it deter me though. Thankfully, I had a spare lever at home which I promptly put on when I got back. Sometimes riding without a front brake can cause you to crash in a roadside ditch. You don't want to end up in a roadside ditch! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
stagewex you missed the context...I love my TW. No regrets, no sarcasm.

So I messed with the mounts a bit last night...You can't tighten the bar clamps without stripping the hex heads....needs new bolts. They're soft metal and don't match standard or metric keys of any size properly. I already have to buy new bolts for a custom high fender mount so I'll pick them up at the same time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts