TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a horse saddlepack a few months ago for about $25. They looked horrible on bike because they laid flat and looked like an unmade bed. Someone on this forum suggested putting plastic buckets inside to give it shape. It worked! Took the black widow out for a spin on this nice sunny day.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Mike,
I thought you were getting ready for another river crossing. Nice sacks.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is cache creek! Was really flowing a few weeks ago after those storms. Looks like I can cross it with quad next week. Didn't try with tw because would be wringing out my socks "joeband" style. ...lol

Reactions: joeband

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This pic should give u an idea how high the water was....

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Good work evan on the saddle bag "stiffener inserts". Those look more stout than the kitty litter diggin's which I've used. I've used my inserts for a couple years and not only do they give the empty bag some shape, they also protect the inside of the saddle bag when you carry "stuff" in them. I can't claim the idea either, as I saw it on some forum somewhere a long time ago with no recollection of the author.

Of course with the kitty diggin's 3 way odor protection, this may help when your sardines in mustard sauce can punctures in your lunch box!:eek:

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Great solution to the unmade bed look. Looks like you have room to haul lunch for all of us next group ride.
Should the plastic eventually shatter you may wish to look into Rubbermaid waste paper baskets. They used to be made of a more flexible, rubbery plastic that endured well as a backpack liner for me. I used them on sampling programs where as day progressed my pack would get heavier with sharp rock samples or wet stream sediment bags, neither of which felt good against the kidneys.
Good job Mike!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to osh today to get a few of those thick rubber bungee cords which I think will work better than standard bungee. (And look better). I'll see if they have the rubber maid cans....I only used these because had one handy and fit perfectly.

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Mike, your existing buckets do seem to fit perfectly. With lids they might even provide sufficient floatation to follow Joeband on water crossings.
Seriously the lids might make for very decent waterproof storage for spare coat and other stuff you wish to keep clean and dry. Filled with ice and a growler of IPA you would be the hit of any creekside gathering..

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
OSH = Orchard Supply Hardware, a great store no longer near where I live. Who else knows of them? I have gotten stuff from them I never saw carried elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Osh didn't have those Rubbermaid type trash cans your were talking about but will keep a look out for them as they would probably be more flexable. Not sure if they would fit as well as I think the bottom of can is smaller than top?

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Correct, Mike. Wastepaper baskets tapered and smaller, would not fit as snugly. If you like the bigger size you have since they fit so well you might as well keep buying the "Sun" product when current buckets get sad. It does look like a very reasonable alternative to more expensive panniers.

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Tight Wad huh? Then I must have bought the right bike since I am a cheap solution finder from way back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts