TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Creative shopping and a little handwork will get you the basic look for a couple hundred bucks, minus the swingarm stretch.

Go for it.

I dare ya.

I give the license plate and rear tire a life expectancy of 27 seconds, so don't do dat.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Classic British cafe racer styling. Looks sort of what I have in mind for an errand runner.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Yep. Pretty formulaeic.

A) Find tank from mid-to-large, 60's-80's street bike. Biggest single design element to build around, so make sure you're in love with it.

. Find a second, unservicable tank. Saw off about 8 inches of the rear of it. Use it for the rear section, or use the good tank as a male mold and copy the back end of it in glass.

C) Make a seat pan. Hide elecricals in tail section. Upholster. Bolt on rear section.

D) Drop fork tubes in triples. Purchase 33mm clip-ons, or split an upper triple in half, flip the halves over, swap left to right sides and cut 2 pieces of 7/8 tubing for bars.

E) Lower the rear. Make reasets by relocating stock levers, or swipe some from a modern sportbike.

F)Flavor to taste

G)Ride the snot out of it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Creative shopping and a little handwork will get you the basic look for a couple hundred bucks, minus the swingarm stretch.

Go for it.

I dare ya.

I give the license plate and rear tire a life expectancy of 27 seconds, so don't do dat.
I know what your thinking,but its not a mono shock anymore. Dual shocks like a SR400.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Twin shocks are 4 welds away. Shocks are a dime a dozen.

You youngn's overthink this stuff.

Like I said, flavor to taste. The basic formula has been used for going on 70 years and lends itself to a zillion combinations.

Bike builders aren't any smarter than the rest of us, just better motivated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm liking the vintage Yamaha headlight/speedo combo. I may need to rip that idea off for my own bike. Anyone know off the top of their head what type of older Yamaha that may have some from? Ideally, looking for a direct swap that will work with current speedo cable...

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The majority of headlights were like that prolly til 1970 or so. No need to get stuck on a particular one. Some were really unusual. You could even slap a digital bicycle speedo under the glass and forget the speedo cable forever.

They used incandescent bulbs, for the most part. Convert one.

See what vintage stuff you can score, don't get ripped off in case it doesn't trip your trigger and you need to sell it, and let the bike build itself.

Plan it right and this appraoch can be ride-as-you-build. Save the tough stuff for last.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts