TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1998 TW we just bought has a Cheng Shin 180/80-14 back tire. I've never seen one advertised. I thought the OEM Bridgestone was the only rear knobby. This CS is about 1/2' wider than the Bridgestone. It also says it will inflate to 32 psi for a total load of 935 lbs. YIPES!

1998 TW 3.JPG 1998 TW 4.JPG

Cheng Shin on left. Bridgestone on right

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
now that i think about it, i think i have the same rear tire on my bike...never really paid attention to it cause the previous owner had replaced it so all i do is adjust air pressure...

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The Cheng Shin tire for the TW hasn't been available for several years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The 92 I'm trying to put together has a CS on the rear.. Looks good. Hope I get to see how it wears soon...

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I bought two brand new CS tires off a guy on ebay for the price of one BS tire. Hopefully I am set for rear tires for the rest of this year.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Sled, that looks like the original Bridgestone.

·
Registered
254 Posts
"....The Cheng Shin tire for the TW hasn't been available for several years..... "

I don't believe that the CS brand is available at all nowadays....perhaps leftover remaining inventories only. I've used them on several RD350/400's years back,sort of the' poor man's Metzler M33'....very good adhesion,short lived because of that;but very inexpensive to replace. Time sensitive,too-use 'em before thay git harder than a mummy's pecker!!:D

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't had a change to ride the "new" '98 TW with this Cheng Shin, yet, to see if has hardened-up. The bike is now ready for its first test ride after 4-5 years of storage. But, my world (Missoula, MT) is covered with ice. I can barely walk outside.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
If stored out of sunlight they should be fine. In the past I have used old "new" tires and once the surface is worn down a little to good rubber they were as good as one just off the shelf.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Seriously,I'd like to read a definitive article of storing/preserving tires for lengthy periods prior to use. The usual obvious things such as storing them in a moderate climate,away from UV are a given. I don't think any such paper exists,at least not nowadays........

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If stored out of sunlight they should be fine. In the past I have used old "new" tires and once the surface is worn down a little to good rubber they were as good as one just off the shelf.
I have thought about hitting the surface with a palm sander. If the snow would go away I'd do it with a quick run to the store. Grrrr.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts