TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something to have fun with on this Holiday weekend. By the way Happy Memorial Day

I was watching TV this morning and apparently this picture has gone viral on Twitter. I think most of us on this forum are older and I would venture to say that you like I was taught by our parents at a young age...chivalry and proper etiquette.
What's wrong with this picture?

image.jpg

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
The woman should be on the inside and shielded from the oncoming traffic. DUH!

GaryL

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
LOL, hey now, you don't have to be "older" to understand and appreciate Chivalry. I, for one, am 27, and it took me about 2-3 seconds to get that reference (woman on the outside). And I sure as HELL did not learn that from my parents. In fact, the only thing I've really ever learned from my parents is exactly what NOT to do if you want to be a decent human being.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Heh, I believe the practice of the man walking on the outside came from Victorian times, when the chamber pot was emptied by throwing it's contents out a second story window into the gutter.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think you're right, GTG. I think I've read that somewhere......probably while sitting on the commode !......and no, I didn't throw the contents out the window.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Lol, totally BRug. Good to know there are others representing my generation positively :)

As for the origin of this specific practice...that may well be true. Of course a quick Google search could reveal this if anyone cares to have a go. However, to me it's the principle of this idea as we see it today. Going out of our way to help or protect a woman, simply because we wish to conduct ourselves as courteous gentlemen!

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
Traditionally the sword arm should not be trapped between lady and gent, it is all about protecting the fairer sex from run-away horses, ruffians and splashed excrement. Modern feminist may say it presumes weakness but I think it is still a nice gesture like opening doors, etc.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like she may be a little cold. He could offer her his jacket.

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
In some cultures the visible offense is that she is not walking five steps behind her man in proper subservience, but at least she is carrying all the burdens, the old "god is great" and "corrupting temptresses just get between a man and his god" party line. I prefer the Christian chivalry values.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I think this picture went viral because it shows 'cosmetic surgery gone bad'. Note the drop of the right right butte cheek. Seems the same thing happened to my left testicle. Just a thought. Gerry

Just something to have fun with on this Holiday weekend. By the way Happy Memorial Day

I was watching TV this morning and apparently this picture has gone viral on Twitter. I think most of us on this forum are older and I would venture to say that you like I was taught by our parents at a young age...chivalry and proper etiquette.
What's wrong with this picture?

View attachment 17737

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
LOL, hey now, you don't have to be "older" to understand and appreciate Chivalry. I, for one, am 27, and it took me about 2-3 seconds to get that reference (woman on the outside). And I sure as HELL did not learn that from my parents. In fact, the only thing I've really ever learned from my parents is exactly what NOT to do if you want to be a decent human being.
Thank God for my parents then...

Hard working, Honest, and treated us with a firm but fair hand....those that blame their parents{or society} for what is wrong with them, need to look in the mirror....your parents and up bringing{Calling Baltimore and Ferguson} isn't an excuse for being a lousy human being.{Not pointing a finger at you kj}....

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Hoot: If anything, what you said here is validating to me. I have refused to allow my lousy "upbringing" to dictate who I will be as a person in life!

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Hoot: If anything, what you said here is validating to me. I have refused to allow my lousy "upbringing" to dictate who I will be as a person in life!
Right you are kj....I should add that many folks with good family ties end up lousy human beings....lol :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Her shoes and purse don't match. ;) The gentleman could redeem himself if he carried her purse safely on his left and traded sides with the young lady on the walkway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts