TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed on this forum, more so then many others I browse, that threads are often given titles that don't give you a clear idea of what the thread is about. Not only can you overlook a thread you might be interested in, but it also makes it more difficult to use the forum's search engine to search a topic. A thread title isn't the best area to make an opinion on the content unless it include keywords relating to the topic. I'd give examples but I don't want to single anyone out...so I'll make up some fictional ones.

Really? (What are we questioning?)
What an idiot. (who or why?)
Need help (how is this going to help anyone with the same issue?)

This would especially helpful with threads containing video as many of us woodsy types don't have high speed or have other limits to our internet.

Happy posting!:D

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
That is a valid observation I shall try to remember Trail Woman.
It is a curtesy to use informative tittles, spell correctly, identify accronyms and use intelligible complete sentences so others stand a chance of understanding what we are trying to convey.
Thanks for the reminder. Next time I'll start a threat title with something like "Video: Fred Falls In A Mud Puddle":)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree with both of you, but I have my own spin on the subject.

I'll be the 1st to admit, I am not a frequent new post maker. However, in my opinion, the idea of a post is to draw in people's interest. The reasons are many: technical questions, skills transfer, to solicit feedback, generate discussion, amusement, ask for help, show case talent, etc.

The best and 1st opportunity to create this interest is in the title. It is sort of the 1 line Sale Pitch. It needs to immediately capture the viewers attention and draw them in. Add to that a bit of intrigue, imagination, and wit, can increase the view count to achieve the desired goal: generate interest.

The 3 examples of Titles you list are high on intrigue and will draw people in if for no other reason than the mystery of what is the guy talking about. This technique does work.

What I try to remember it this is a forum and it is not solely intended to be a depository of reference material. It also functions as a source of fun, amusement, camaraderie, and entertainment. I think if we all used dry and to the point titles for our posts, the forum would not have the charm and personality it has.

"You may fire when ready, Gridley," ;)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You make a great point. But aside from reference material, there are lots of people who don't have the time to sift through random posts when they're not aware of the content. I myself get curious when I'm idle, but that's not too often.

·
Super Moderator
17,920 Posts
Aren't you glad we don't let you know every time you make a spelling mistake Mike? :p You be nice to Fred now...before he bans himself from the forum!! :D

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
There goes Fred, pandering to the women again. Sheeze. Makes total sense to me. This forum is like no other. Totally crazy, eclectic, interesting people. I actually like the lure of the unknown.

If you hover the title you can see the text without clicking.

I of course am not an offender. My titles are always spot on.:D

http://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topic/13450-long-lonesome-highway-east-omaha.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topic/9607-literary-borneo.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topic/14448-sunday-night-hoo-gar-fifty-cent-drafts.html

Just a few examples of how your title can reflect the content. :D

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Thank you Fred.

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud....many of us choose TDubs to avoid it. Hehe. There's lots of room in a thread for the colorful commentary once you've got the attention of those who are looking of it.
Well, it seemeded preddy stick in the muddish to me. :D

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
There goes Fred, pandering to the women again. Sheeze. Makes total sense to me. This forum is like no other. Totally crazy, eclectic, interesting people. I actually like the lure of the unknown.

If you hover the title you can see the text without clicking.

I of course am not an offender. My titles are always spot on.:D

http://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topic/13450-long-lonesome-highway-east-omaha.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topic/9607-literary-borneo.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topic/14448-sunday-night-hoo-gar-fifty-cent-drafts.html

Just a few examples of how your title can reflect the content. :D
Perhaps you should be working on a title for your next short?:p It has been several weeks now........

Tom

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I agree with both of you, but I have my own spin on the subject.

I'll be the 1st to admit, I am not a frequent new post maker. However, in my opinion, the idea of a post is to draw in people's interest. The reasons are many: technical questions, skills transfer, to solicit feedback, generate discussion, amusement, ask for help, show case talent, etc.

The best and 1st opportunity to create this interest is in the title. It is sort of the 1 line Sale Pitch. It needs to immediately capture the viewers attention and draw them in. Add to that a bit of intrigue, imagination, and wit, can increase the view count to achieve the desired goal: generate interest.

The 3 examples of Titles you list are high on intrigue and will draw people in if for no other reason than the mystery of what is the guy talking about. This technique does work.

What I try to remember it this is a forum and it is not solely intended to be a depository of reference material. It also functions as a source of fun, amusement, camaraderie, and entertainment. I think if we all used dry and to the point titles for our posts, the forum would not have the charm and personality it has.

"You may fire when ready, Gridley," ;)
Fire? That was about as well reasoned and spot on as it gets...perhaps you should post more often.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Nah, I'm counting the Greyhound post where I totally ignored your question. :D
Ironically I am watching Bear Grylls navigate the jungles of Borneo. Entertaining enough I suppose:(

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Some valid point here Trailwoman! I could kare least how people spell stuf hear and I don't even care about grammatical mistakes as long as I can get the idea what one is talking about.

One point you mention does play a roll for me and that is the video deal. Those with dial up or satellite services are severely limited in the amount of data they have available and simply can't watch many videos so it is a waste of time to even try. There are a lot of posts that I wish I could view the videos in but it can't happen for me.

Titles should be specific enough just like if you are posting an add on Craig's List. Say what it is short and sweet to peak the interest of the viewer, example, "Question ???" does not work while
"Question about Carb" does. One thing that bugs me is when questions asked require more questions to be asked before we can answer. With carbs the first thing we need to know is what year carb are we discussing and there are lots of other subtle differences depending on the year of our bikes. A thread started with "Front brake problem" should have the year of the bike in the very first sentence of the post body. We should not have to be dentists extracting info before we can answer your questions.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
TWilight correctly and repeatedly urges us all to identify important background info like model year, location, and relevant modifications. Apparently many of us just don't listen. This info helps us help you. This information is easy to enter in your "Profile" and thus subsequently appears in all your posts .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts