TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's just an annoyance but it's been there since new. Clacking from the front end at every bump. Sounds like it's in the forks but people have said it's probably the caliper. Checked that and it seems tight. Other peeps must have this. And fixed it? Sure would like to trace it down.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It has to do with the level of fluid in your forks.
My '01 use to "clack" incessantly over bumps....filled the forks to 130 or 135mm and the noise went away.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try that thanks
Holy crap! Altho I am still several thou away from fork oil service and the stuff is still red and healthy, the measurement I get with the forks compressed is 700 mm. Never had any leaking or anything either. Now that is to the top of the fork, correct? I'll hold off topping up till someone comes back with comments in case I am doing something stupid. Don't think so, tho. No wonder I've had so much clacking.

·
Registered
21,492 Posts
With springs and spacers out, forks fully compressed and as vertical as convenient measure from top of fork tube to the top of oil level. From my memory of your stature Doug I would say 125mm to 130mm might be a good starting point if you still have OEM springs; certainly enough to get some rebound dampening and eliminate the annoying clunk/clack sound.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Fred. Good to hear you are still kickin. Havent withdrawn the springs but that will cause a significant level drop again. Better go and buy more fluid. lol.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wish i could give it to ya, cause I still got it. Needless, the bike was in need of a fork oil top up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts