TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really, really like the look of this motorcycle but I have been told by many to keep my belt driven V-Star on pavement so I am curious about the practicality of this motorcycle. Please comment so I can get a better understanding.

Dirty Work: Burly Brand's Harley Scrambler | Bike EXIF

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
What I would worry about off road with belt drive would be a stone landing just right on that wide belt and get carried around the pulley, destroying both. That is a cool looking motorcycle, just not sure if it would be the best choice for a big bore off roader. A back road bike, definitely!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I really like the look and overall build. I would be a little concerned about my right foot rubbing on the exhaust. The handle bars look high enough to stand on the pegs, but your body would be way way high over the bike and centered about half way over the tank. Not sure how that would work.
I think the main concern is sharp rocks being driven into the rubber of the belt and cutting the fibers, On the flip side several electric dirt bikes run belt drives with out issue.

Add: in the comments section the builders comment on poor peg location.

·
Registered
807 Posts
If something does happen to the belt a chain conversion is cheap and easy. Remember, its a sporty, EVERYTHING you could want is available for them. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don't know about the belt, but I want that bike. Very cool. What's the wet weight?

Reactions: dette

·
Registered
807 Posts
Its a rubber mount so started off life heavier. But a lot of stuff was taken off, still bet its in the low 500s

·
Registered
357 Posts
it would be low and narrow, and with the weight pulled off at the extremities, prob much better in gravel than a sporty.
belt is great - love mine on the buell (even though i broke one jumping it), but makes gearing changes limited to 883 or 1200 primary choice.
i'd ride it's wheels off.

ken

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
I've rode my Buell offroad many times. It's probably the worst thing ever offroad and I wouldn't reccomend it, but I've never had any problems with the belt or anything else and I dumped it at least a few times. The only thing I actually managed to break were the shitty aftermarket mirrors that I hated anyway.

CAM00314.jpg

I don't think a rock would hurt the sprocket too much, but you might tear the belt maybe. Or maybe the tensioner would give enough to not damage either.

I think someone with a belt drive should throw a rock in there to test it. You know... for science. [nose goes!]

fe8966fa741640c8446c0a1bcd58d1cd.jpg

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, that's what I thought and I have taken my V-Star on a few little gravel/dirt roads but only when I have to to get where I am going. I have also turned around a couple times when the gravel road seems to be longer than I anticipate....that's if I am only going to see a huge cedar tree or something that I don't really have to get to.

I just really like the look of that Harley but because everything I had been told, I was surprised to see it was a belt drive. So, if I were actually inclined to get something on that order, I would do as TWROG mentioned and convert to a chain drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts