·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks nice. Was the fit perfect when you went to install?
The stock petcock required opening the holes for the fuel tubes slightly. I used a 11/32" bit to pull the hole out slightly. This allowed the raised portion at the base of the screens to clear for installation.

As mentioned in the other thread, the right side panel on mine is pulled forward a little. Not bad enough to require modification on mine.

Is anything perfect? This comes close enough for me
I'm happy with it and so is my wife. Guess that is what counts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just ordered a BLACK Clark tank. I will attempt to place some pics when I get her done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just received a white one the other day, like it. No leaks, seems to work fine. The fit is very good, no issues with mounting.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Received my new Clarke Tank yesterday, white, for my '07. Fits great, no leaks.

Has anyone ever soldered an extension brass tube on the "Reserve" side? Looks like it could be done. More Reserve? Packed and leaving OKla. tomorrow for Colorado. TAT through New Mexico and Colorado.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Installed mine this evening, grommets don't line up well but everything else is very fine. I'll figure something out or get those shifted.

Any thoughts on whether or not this tank will drain better, as in make good use of the entire contents?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How doe the new Clarke Tank work with your oil cooler set up? Any issues?
It fit just like the stock tank. Well pretty close. One line was very close to the tank where it fits over them so I cut a piece of fuel line and slipped over it to insulate between the line and the plastic tank.

Pretty much no problems. I did not have to make any changes to get it to fit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I installed the tank this morning. Piece of cake to put on. Pics to follow after i clean the bike up a bit. She's a mess from commuting this week.

New Pic with tank installed. Love the added range.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
It fit just like the stock tank. Well pretty close. One line was very close to the tank where it fits over them so I cut a piece of fuel line and slipped over it to insulate between the line and the plastic tank.

Pretty much no problems. I did not have to make any changes to get it to fit.

HenryJ

Thanks-I will now get on with these two projects. I have all the oil cooler parts and they have been pre-fitted. But I decided to hold off on the oil cooler installation until Clarke finished their tank. I was afraid that their new tank might affect cooler placement. I wasn't sure were I was going to place the cooler if I couldn't use the bike frame down tube as the attaching points.

Mike

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will now get on with these two projects. I have all the oil cooler parts and they have been pre-fitted. But I decided to hold off on the oil cooler installation until Clarke finished their tank. I was afraid that their new tank might affect cooler placement. I wasn't sure were I was going to place the cooler if I couldn't use the bike frame down tube as the attaching points.
Nice. Take some pictures if you can. I did not document my install of the cooler very well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
coopdway,

my grommets did not line up either.

so i took a hacksaw and block sander to the tabs. i drilled one hole in the left side, and two on the right side, then put a wire tie through each to hold them to the tank.

now they are flush and it looks good again!

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
[quote name='Wheelie Nelson' date='25 July 2010 - 02:41 PM' timestamp='1280086888' post='304']

coopdway,

my grommets did not line up either.

so i took a hacksaw and block sander to the tabs. i drilled one hole in the left side, and two on the right side, then put a wire tie through each to hold them to the tank.

now they are flush and it looks good again!

----------------------------------------------------------------

So we need to molest our bikes and lose quick release features in order to make it fit right?

How could Clarke get something so simple wrong?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My tank doesn't seem to fit properly either?

I was hoping that you guys might have a solution or be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

It's with the grommets also but it seems to not fit that snug on the rear bolt?

I should have waited and let someone else do the testing!

Ron

·
Registered
204 Posts
So we need to molest our bikes and lose quick release features in order to make it fit right?

How could Clarke get something so simple wrong?

I'm not saying it's necessary; it's just what I did.

For the quick release features, the left side is held on by two screws, so that's not really "quick" anyway. I can pop the wire ties in a few seconds though. On the right side, I can still access the tool bag with the front part wire tied to the tank. By doing what I did, I don't feel like the bike has been molested in any way. I didn't lose anything other than it may take me a total of an extra 10 seconds to fully take the panels off, which I have only done one or two times in the last year.

Ron, I had no problems with the rear bolt. Are you retaining the bottom and top mounting pieces per the directions that Clarke sent with the tank?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wheelie

The rear bolt may not be a problem it's just that there is a gap between the tank and the rear mounting rubber and I was expecting it to be tight. It does mount firmly and seems OK until I try to attach the side panels again.

I am retaining the mounting pieces.

I have taken it off my bike for now. I am considering using a dremel to install the oblong rubbers from the old tank as I had planned on being able to switch back to the old tank as an option. I think that would work for me.

Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi

Just thought I would do a quick post to let everyone know how I made out. I used a round file to lengthen the rear grommet holes towards the back. I had to file just a hair to get a perfect fit for the side panels on the left side and almost a 1/4" on the right side. I used the Clarke grommet rubbers. I now have a nearly perfect fit and the new tank looks great like it belongs there. I am a happy camper again!

Ron

1 - 20 of 131 Posts