TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I just brought my new 2018 TW home yesterday. I have purchased three new DR650's in the past and the first thing I do is replace the stock tank with a Clarke and I have never had a problem. They have all fit perfectly...swap the petcock (or buy a replacement to keep the stock one on the stock tank) and poof...done! Why do I do this? Not really because of the amount of fuel I can carry (although in the TW's case, a little more probably wouldn't hurt) but mainly because I don't want the new tank to get scratched and dented. When the time comes to sell the bike, I like to be able to grab the new stock tank from the attic and throw it back on.

Unfortunately, I've read thread after thread here about guys trimming plastic side panels, adding zip ties, heating and bending plastic, drilling holes...etc. in order to get the Clarke tank to fit the TW. All things I would really rather not do to a brand new bike. Kind of defeats the purpose of being able to sell the bike as stock someday. Oh, and then there are guys that didn't have to do anything to get the tank to fit? Then there are people that say the tank is thin, flexible, and say that the cap doesn't fit correctly. Once again, all things that I never experienced with my DR650 Clarkes.

So, what gives here? Is it perhaps due to the quality control of the TW Clarke tanks that make them all fit differently? Do some years of TW's fit the Clarke tanks better than others? Are some people more picky about how the install looks than others?

Yeah, I realize too that the Clarke tanks are ugly, but to me, what's uglier is the pretty stock tank with scratches and dents.

On a side note...my daughter works for a graphic design company that supplies graphic kits to some national race teams. I could always get them to make a template for the TW Clarke tanks to pretty it up a bit, although plastic tanks tend to breath which sometimes causes problems with graphics...even if the graphics have the perforations.

Thanks everyone,
Russ

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
Russ, you should be able to mount up a Clarke tank without permanently marring the TW's future salability.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have a Clark tank - went on no significant problem and having that extra fuel on some of the longer rides, or if you ever get lost....is a good thing! Also on one of the Fred "easy" rides getting to the campsite area required some climbing, off level dirt roads and water crossings. My strapped Dub fell to the side on the trailer, the tank hit the steel siding. The Clark showed no damage, had that been the stock metal tank I'm pretty sure it would have creased it. Clark payed for itself that day!

I now have carabinger ends on my tie down straps and have not had a problem on rough roads and the trailer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep...the carabiners are a good idea. We have always used a bungee from hook eyelete to eyelete...this way if the bike tilts around turns there is always some constant pressure so the hooks don't come off the handlebars or the other end. We just bought a new style strap that has the soft strap built in with clips on the hook ends. They work nice too!

X001-Y001.jpg

·
Registered
721 Posts
Here’s my 2 cents. I recently bought and installed the Clarke tank. The tank has flaws. The molding process and/or quality control leaves a bit to be desired. However, I was able to mount it up with no issues or leaks and it works just fine. For me it’s worth the extra fuel and I like the tank overall and would do it again. The only interesting thing to note is, I am unsure on steering clearance if I didn’t have bar risers. But, I do, so no issues. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
Plastic tanks deform rather than dent when contacted by bars or triple clamps. This can occur with the larger 4 gallon Clarke XT tanks but I do not consider it a deal killer.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have two Clarke tanks and mine are pretty blemish free. Both of mine are blue, not sure if that makes a difference or not vs other colors. Mine also fit pretty darn good and i didn't really have any issues at all with the side panels. They go into place but just take more force than factory. I don't have bar risers but i for have the Pro Taper ATV high bars on both of mine and there is no clearance issues.

My only gripes are they forgot to ship some of the hardware when i got mine, specifically the metal spacers for the front of both tanks and it took two months and many phone calls to Clarke to get it resolved. I would have just made my own since i have access to the stock but didn't on principal alone. I also had issued with one of my caps, i cracked it by over tightening it. I ended up replacing both caps with Tusk billet ones from Rocky MTN ATV.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have bar risers but i for have the Pro Taper ATV high bars on both of mine and there is no clearance issue.
Great to hear that because I just ordered those bars!

I wonder if it's better to order the tank directly from Clarke than a reseller. I wonder if you'd get better service if there was a problem.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Great to hear that because I just ordered those bars!

I wonder if it's better to order the tank directly from Clarke than a reseller. I wonder if you'd get better service if there was a problem.
Yes, order directly. I ordered mine from a reseller and that was a part of the issue for me getting the missing parts. Despite me having an invoice showing exactly what and when they were bought and despite Clarke drop shipping the tanks directly to me they still had to contact the reseller to “verify my purchase” for some unknown reason. That process took forever, gives me the impression they prefer to deal direct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
OEM steel xt225 tank is another alternative, 2.3 gallons gives you a range of 150-190 miles. i never worried as much about dings... it is a dirt bike. YMMV.

i think the clarke xt225 tanks look really sharp.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OEM steel xt225 tank is another alternative, 2.3 gallons gives you a range of 150-190 miles. i never worried as much about dings... it is a dirt bike. YMMV.

i think the clarke xt225 tanks look really sharp.
Based on the threads I've read here, I thought that you had to make some kind of mods to make the XT tank fit...cutting notches, extending the rear tank mount?, etc. Memory is kind of unclear because I've read so many posts about so many seats guys have fitted.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Clarke did make a TW-specific tank that doesn't require any modifications. They don't show it on their website any more, although it's still listed on Procycle. It's 2.7 gallons (vs 1.9 on the stock tank). Was already on my TW when I got it. I usually flip onto reserve at 140-150 miles. Ran it up to 175 miles and took 2.5 gallons to refill. Maybe could eek out 200 if babying it. The only minor annoyance is the choke knob now tends to hit the petcock.

The Clarke's designed for the XT can be made to work, but everything I've read shows that some trimming and modifications are needed. I don't have personal experience with one though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clarke did make a TW-specific tank that doesn't require any modifications. They don't show it on their website any more, although it's still listed on Procycle. It's 2.7 gallons (vs 1.9 on the stock tank). Was already on my TW when I got it. I usually flip onto reserve at 140-150 miles. Ran it up to 175 miles and took 2.5 gallons to refill. Maybe could eek out 200 if babying it. The only minor annoyance is the choke knob now tends to hit the petcock.

The Clarke's designed for the XT can be made to work, but everything I've read shows that some trimming and modifications are needed. I don't have personal experience with one though.
The TW Specific one is the one I was originally asking about...and if you search enough posts about it, you'll read where guys had to modify something to make even the TW specific tank work. Hopefully, I won't have to. Yes, The TW tank is still alive and well on the Clarke website.

https://clarkemfg.com/tanks/catalog/yamaha/yamaha-tw200-all-years-2-7-gallons/

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hmm...I thought the TW clarke tank was a no mod needed fit. Aside from reusing the stock petcock.

I have the clarke XT225 tank and it did require a lot of mods to fit (like the ones you described). I still have some minor aesthetic things to do to fill in gaps on the side covers. Despite the trouble mounting it, I like it much better then the TW tank. I too have a mint 2015 tank to store.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Based on the threads I've read here, I thought that you had to make some kind of mods to make the XT tank fit...cutting notches, extending the rear tank mount?, etc. Memory is kind of unclear because I've read so many posts about so many seats guys have fitted.
for the OEM xt225 tank you need to trim the mounting posts 1/2" each side and grind the rubber a bit off of the pucks, then trim the side panels to fit, it's detailed in the post in my signature. i've done two of them and it's fast, easy and works great.

1.jpg
this was my dad's bike, an '06 with an '05 xt tank. :( just sold it to a new member.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. It's just kind of straying from my original post. I don't want to modify anything, don't even really want to add much more fuel...which would lead me to the Clarke TW tank. Like I said, I'll order one and take it from there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I too have the Clarke TW tank on my bike. Mine is the blue version and honestly I see no issues with the fit and finish. I mounted it up with no problems other than the aforementioned petcock/choke knob interference issue. I initially solved this by slightly rotating the carb for clearance, but for a more permanent solution used a slightly longer bolt and some washers to shim up the rear tank mount. All in all, a great mod that I would highly recommend.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got off the phone with Clarke. According to them, they never changed the mold of the TW tank. She kept referring to the instruction sheet available online. Here are two steps that got my attention from the instructions. Certainly seems like Clarke left themselves an "out" as far as fitments goes. When reading "you may have to do this...or you may have to do that" makes me believe that maybe not all of their tanks are the same. I mean, if I were to order a replacement tank from Yamaha, I'm about 100 percent sure it would fit no matter what. So the variable in my mind is the Clarke tank. I'm going to order one anyway. It can't be THAT bad...LOL. Oh...and there is a 20 percent restocking fee if you return it...and obviously, it could never have had fuel in it and has to be able to be sold as new.

Step 3. Place the top grommet mount that was removed in step 2 back onto the bike. It will need to be placed upside down with the angle facing up and towards the rear of the bike. Now you may place the tank on to the bike for a test fit. If all looks well install the front mounting bolt into place but do not tighten the nut down, finger tight is fine. Reinstall the original rear bolt and washer, do not tighten at this time.
Step 4. Reinstall your side panels and adjust your tanks location until proper side panel fit is achieved, the side panels should just plug into the rear tank grommets. You may or may not have to raise or lower the rear of the tank. To raise you will have to add washers which are not supplied. To lower you may remove the grommet plate but you may need a washer or two under the bolt to supply correct clamping force to the rear grommet. After a good fit is achieved you may tighten down the tank bolts. The proper way to tighten the front bolt is to tighten the lock nut down until it just contacts the flat washer then tighten an additional half turn.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So... when someone gets a bad tank and they return it to Clarke, they charge a 20% restocking fee. Then they sell it to the next unsuspecting customer who has to return it with a 20% restocking fee, and so on and so on. Aren’t these tanks about $250.00? That’s $50 profit each time, for nothing. Nice business model.

·
Registered
42 Posts
After just putting about 40 miles on my newly running basket-case Tdub, the original tank is now developing a buncha pinhole leaks. I'm considering the Clarke TW tank for the extra range. Does anyone have photos of your Clarke TW specific install? I'd like to see what it looks like compared to the plastic XT225.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts