TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Big fan of Clarke Tanks, I've put them on many bikes I've had over the years. Recently I purchased the translucent one for my TW, I've had it for several season now, no issues. About a month ago I noticed some brown residue / spots on the inside of the tank. The brown stuff was also in my fuel lines and filter. So I removed it right away and trying to figure out what this is? Anyone else seen this or have has this issue? I had fresh gas in the tank, wasn't sitting at all. Puzzled? Thanks for any info / insight.

TW Clarke 2 by Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

TW Clarke 1 by Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

·
Registered
21,492 Posts
Rubber debris from delivery hose purchased with the gasoline?
I've had this cumulative unwanted rubber shed from gas stations clog the inlet screen to fuel pump resulting in fuel starvation....wait a minute or two and debris floats off inlet screen and engine starts again as fuel delivery is resumed. Suppose this could also happen with out TWs given enough debris.

Reactions: PlacerLode

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
People think I'm a bit OCD....but I filter my fuel even BEFORE it goes into my tank.
I don't trust the equipment at gas stations...their in-ground tanks, pumps or hoses...I have NEVER seen one being maintained, so I take a proactive approach; any bulk fuel is stored in a separate gerry can and is filtered in 1 or 2 gallon batches as required. I have never had a jet or port clog on me yet...touch wood.
I change my bulk-fuel filter every season and you'd be surprised at the amount of junk it catches.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the info. To be honest, it's really hard to tell from the photo but when I look very closely it looks like some kind resin or plastic molding or glue of some sort or?, coming from the tank itself. I don't think it's a containment entering the tank, it looks like to be coming from the tank itself. Really strange, never had this happen with a Clarke Tank. I really don't know? Thx again for your input!

·
Registered
21,492 Posts
Maybe debris is coming from the Clarke gas cap's sealing surface and you are scraping some off each time cap is replaced. I would get a sample from tank wall dry on a paper towels and inspect both debris, cap and top rim of Clarke tank to see if it is a rough cause for creating the debris.

EDIT: I see oldworld beat me to the punch with cap suggestion. Great minds and all that...

·
Registered
642 Posts
To me that looks like dirty gas. Go somewhere else to get fuel.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
first thought was old parting agent from the tank but that does look to black for that parting agent is usually greenish or amber

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great Idea Guys! I didn't even look at the gas cap funny enough. I just looked and it's not right, the rubber gasket is all cracked and crumbly! Strange, it looks like rubber that's been sitting around for decades, but it's only about 2 seasons since I got this... That's gotta be what it is. I was so focused looking into the tank it didn't even dawn on me to look at the gas cap. Not sure if I can salvage the tank, that brown stuff is all along the bottom and up the sides. I wonder what made it do that? That's never happened to a Clarke tank I've owned.

·
Registered
21,492 Posts
Certainly cap gasket can be reversed until a replacement is sourced. I would remove tank, maybe petcock too, and smooth inlet at cap's mating surface then pressure wash tank interior with whatever is readily available to remove residue. If residual debris still clings and offends put some abrasive like sand inside and swirl around in a water slurry to scour tank interior. Repetitive flushing and subsequent drying should restore tank to a clean serviceable condition.
Whatever it is glad you found and corrected issue before a clogged carb leaves you on side of road. (y)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great advice Fred, Thank You - That is exactly what I'll do.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Another good reason for an inline filter between the tank and carb.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Errtu - Agreed, Thankfully I had one, it captured all that "stuff" - line going into the carb was clean - phew!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I just bought a 2015 TW with a Clarke tank and I swapped out the cap with a Tusk Billet cap so I have a mint black Clarke plastic cap and I have another new red Tusk billet cap if you need one - the Clarke was new in 2019 and the TW is super low miles

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Placer, that would be great, let me know! I love that headlight set up, can you share what that is??? Keep me posted on the cap. I did the first washout with my tank last night after work, like Fred mentioned. It removed about 80% of the stuff, going to do a second round later this week and hopefully it will be in serviceable condition again soon.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
RTG shoot me your mailing address and I'll send the Clarke cap free or if you want a red billet Tusk cap I paid $20 for those around 10 years ago and I'll sell for the same price

thats ProCycles "Cyclops" H4 Rally Lamp DOT legal with high and low beam

I went for a short desert night ride and it has an incredible throw but I'd still like some more peripheral lighting cuz I'm gettin old lol

·
Registered
651 Posts
I just bought a 2015 TW with a Clarke tank and I swapped out the cap with a Tusk Billet cap so I have a mint black Clarke plastic cap and I have another new red Tusk billet cap if you need one - the Clarke was new in 2019 and the TW is super low miles
View attachment 214511

View attachment 214513
I just saw this bike an hour ago and it is BEAUTIFUL! I had one space left on the trailer and should have made an offer.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts