TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dented my tank running into a tree on the trails and now I'm thinking of buying a clarke tanks. I have a blue tw and debating over which color to get. First off, what is all your opinions on "battle scars" obtained during tough rides. Is it a badge of honor? Second, does anyone have the blue clarke tank with blue plastic tw's? Does it match up well? I do like the black one but am not sure how good it would look. Opinion away.

·
Registered
63 Posts
IMO, scratches and minor wear are as far as you want to let things go when it comes to cosmetics. A dented tank can cause you to lose valuable fuel capacity too. I have the Clarke 2.7G tank and love it...never have to worry about fuel. Not sure about the blues exact color match but that sounds like a winner if the rest of your bike is blue. Happy riding!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For all you that own and use the clarke tanks, how sturdy are they? Can they take a shot? For 200 clams, I will need to justify the price to the Mrs. Any estimate on how thick the plastic is? Is the white tank easy to see through to judge remaining fuel supply?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I haven't crashed mine yet but it seems pretty sturdy. I know the plastic tank my old XR200R Honda came with held up to everything.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Do you have any other pictures showing the width and height? i am kinda tall and wondering how my knees would like it

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you don't want to bite on the Clarke tank, just take yours off, remove the shut-off valve and apply some air pressure to it with the cap on with a blow nozzle and see if the dent pops out. just be careful you don't blow up the tank. also make sure all the fuel is out, also, this is not a good time for a smoke

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
If Woofhound's trick doesn't work, before putting your tank back on try filling it with water and putting it in a freezer. You may be able pop the dent out.

Brian

·
Registered
50 Posts
@PJungnitsch, I've read several threads that say this tank fits with minor mods. What kinds of mods are needed? Will I be denting plastic or cutting metal?

TIA

·
Registered
590 Posts
I did a little bit of drilling on the Clarke tank aluminum fitting and some cutting of the seat plastic so it would bend, detailed here:

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/259-alternative-fuel-tanks/

The only issue I've noticed is the LH side of the tank likes to sit on the rocker cover on one spot. Doesn't seem to cause an issue but I might put more foam underneath the tank to brace up more on that side. And of course the front of the side panels are now unsupported. My LH one was broken anyway and the right one seems to sit there fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts