TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah, I know they have issues... Some get lucky, and some don't, etc. Sure, I wish Clarke would get new molds and correct the fitment issues, as well as the blemish on the front of the tank, etc. But, this thread isn't to revive the age old complaints and discussions in this regard. It is what it is, and for me that means that unless I want to stick with the stock tank, they are the only game in town. Yeah, I know I could go with Rotopaks and such, but that's not what I want to discuss either. And I also know about the XT350 tank, but I want one that is at least designed to fit my bike from the get go.

I'm still on the fence, but let's say that I DID decide to get the Clarke TW tank. Clarke has them discounted (due to issues that they now admit. At least in regard to the blemish). But, by the time you add shipping, it comes out to $239.59. Justgastanks has them listed for a bit more but with free shipping it comes to $229.99.

So, Justgastanks is a little cheaper, but I'm looking for opinions from those that have dealt with the companies. If there is an issue (more likely than I'd prefer to consider), which company will be better to deal with? For example, I've read that you can't return the tank once it's had fuel in it, etc. But when you read Clarke's instructions it actually says that after installing the factory petcock, to put a small amount of fuel in it to check for leaks before installation....

I guess, in a nutshell, what I'm asking is, if I were to decide to take the gamble of making one of these tanks work, which company would be best with which to place my wager??

Thanks for any advice...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Since you are purchasing it with a credit card, on-line, I wonder what kind of support your credit card company would give you. If the tank doesn’t fulfill the written description of what they are marketing, and the side panels don’t fit, or the tank leaks, your credit card company should back you up if you have an issue returning it for a full refund. And that should include all shipping fees since it was not what was advertised. Clarke has a very restrictive return policy, but restocking fees should not apply if the product is defective. The only thing you can’t gripe about now is the blemish since they mention it on their website.
Having a copy of their instructions including the mention of the introduction of gas “before” installation on the motorcycle to check for leaks shows you followed the directions. They can’t refuse it if it smells of gas. If the side panels don’t fit, that issue is well documented and Clarke is well aware of it.

A call to your credit card company for a little chat may be worth the effort before you purchase just to see where you stand.
Don’t forget to order the $48.00 aluminum gas cap. The rumor is the plastic one is a POS.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, in well over 40 years or riding and tinkering on motorcycles, and other mechanical things, that's something I fully understand. :thumbsup: Just hoping that I'm one of the lucky few that gets a tank that actually fits...

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would be very happy to hear that you received a quality product from Clarke and that it fits well. It would give me hope. Please keep us updated.

My frustration stems from wanting one of their tanks, but not being willing to support a company that sells a product with known problems. Maybe in time they will actually fix the mold.
I’m crossing my fingers for you.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
I used the cap that came with it and had no problems. Maybe try it before you buy the other one first.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I've read about the caps. But, I plan to check it out in person, and use the stock cap for a bit at least. If needed I'll order a Tusk cap in black. It's machined aluminum and $33.95 shipped vs $48 for the Clarke one.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My Clarke tank fit like a glove after the hockey puck modification. My only issue was pinching off the gas line against the frame. A longer line with a loop in it solved that issue. Very happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Clarke tank fit like a glove after the hockey puck modification. My only issue was pinching off the gas line against the frame. A longer line with a loop in it solved that issue. Very happy with it.
Hockey puck modification?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Guess i'm confused on hockey puck mod....the TW has mount pad on rear and uses through bolt on front. Pretty simple install.The biggest issue I had was figuring out position of rear mount.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the mounting once I get it.... Speaking of... How long do they typically take to receive once an order has been placed? I mean, I hate to admit to have fallen into the instant gratification trap that Amazon Prime has created, but I placed my order on Oct. 15 and haven't gotten any shipping info. Yeah, I realize that it's only been 6 days... Just curious of what to expect, really. I mean, will it be here in a week... or two months? If I sorta know what to expect I can forget about it and just let it get here when it gets here...

·
Registered
322 Posts
I followed an awesome "How-to" on the Clarke Tank modification which I found in this forum. It includes making modified bushings from a hockey puck so the tank will properly fit on to the frame. The Clarke Tank will not fit on the frame correctly with stock bushings so modifications are required for both front and back frame mounts. It was super helpful and I posted numerous pics of my modification process someplace around here. No need to re-invent the wheel, lots of helpful information in this forum.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I used the cap that came with it and had no problems. Maybe try it before you buy the other one first.
Yeah, I've read about the caps. But, I plan to check it out in person, and use the stock cap for a bit at least. If needed I'll order a Tusk cap in black. It's machined aluminum and $33.95 shipped vs $48 for the Clarke one.
I recall having to drill a hole in the cap so it would breathe correctly.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have no problem with cap breathing, I did buy a second cap as a spare due to all the postings on caps cracking though. I think they would only crack if they get over tightened; no different than a plastic gas can cap.
I went the stubby cap check valve vent instead of hooking up hose to cap.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I followed an awesome "How-to" on the Clarke Tank modification which I found in this forum. It includes making modified bushings from a hockey puck so the tank will properly fit on to the frame. The Clarke Tank will not fit on the frame correctly with stock bushings so modifications are required for both front and back frame mounts. It was super helpful and I posted numerous pics of my modification process someplace around here. No need to re-invent the wheel, lots of helpful information in this forum.
Oh. I believe I understand now. Are you talking about installing an XT225 tank on the TW? I'm referring to the Clarke TW200 tank that I have on order.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts