TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading Mel's recent thread and seeing wildcat's awesome 67 Mustang got me wondering how many other TW200 forum members also own an antique car.

Here is my 79 Triumph Spitfire. With 57 blazing horsepower it isn't exactly fast but it is a blast to drive on twisty country roads with the top down. She handles like it's on rails and doesn't break the bank giving almost 40mpg.

Lets see some pictures of your other rides.

·
Registered
184 Posts
40 mpg sure beats my 18 to 20mpg ,10 with my foot in it.my cousin has 2 gt6's in restoration stages .sure would like to put a small block in one of them fun fun fun zoom zoom.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the engine ever goes boom in the Spitfire I think a V-6 would be the way to go.The car only weighs 1800lbs. In the meantime slow and easy works for me......just like the T-Dub.:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
If the engine ever goes boom in the Spitfire I think a V-6 would be the way to go.The car only weighs 1800lbs. In the meantime slow and easy works for me......just like the T-Dub.:)
i know where you can get an alum.block buick v8 small block for a real good price.the brits used them in a few of ther cars.it dosn't weigh any more than your 4 cyl .that would wake your car up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm sort of making my own classic. I've had a Defender 90 I bought new for twenty years now. I plan on keeping it forever.
The Defender 90 has always been one of my favorites. Definetly a serious machine. Big thumbs up from me!

I have a 68 Falcon Sports Coupe that is a work in progress.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
i know where you can get an alum.block buick v8 small block for a real good price.the brits used them in a few of ther cars.it dosn't weigh any more than your 4 cyl .that would wake your car up.
The tooling for the aluminum V8 was sold to British Leyland and the engines may still be in current production as they were used in Range Rovers for years. There's a ton of aftermarket parts available, and it is possible to get a relatively dependable 325-330 net out of a 317 pound engine. I had one in a 12 foot v-bottom Glen-L boat named Stink that was supposed to have a Chevy 4-banger. Lots of people wanted a boat that would go like Stink. Few did. Had many fun hours playing mini ocean racer on Biscayne Bay.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looking back I have owned several that might be considered classics or at least collectible now but at the time were just fairly common daily drivers:

The first was a surplus WWII Ford jeep - bought in 1960 for $300.
My next was from a used car lot, a 1953 MG-TD in 61, $695, pay as you go.
The first new was a 63 Chevy S-10 pickup, I'm sure it was under $1800.
A used TR4 in 65.
A new 66 Mustang Fastback - wanted the Shelby who didn't? - but it had the 289 w/ 4bbl and 4 on the floor
(won't count the Ford Pinto, but at least it did not self-immolate)
Another used TR-4, this one with IRS
Maybe no one considers a 77 Cherokee Chief a classic, but I would love to have another

Then came middle age, all downhill until I bought the TW last month.
I do have a VW "Thing" out in the barn but it hasn't been driven for 25 years.

M C

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
well now I don't have a classic car but does a 54 year old truck count?Classic Cars-2012-08-23-18.57.35.jpg its a gas sucking pig but lots of hp and a blast to drive.
It sure counts in my book. You happen to have my dream truck. It is my plan to have one of those baby's as a retirement vehicle. That body style simply pleases the heck out of me. My goal is to one day find a rust free one and then do it bottom up, installing a modern and more fuel efficient engine and drive train but leaving the outside bone stock. Beautiful old truck.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
The tooling for the aluminum V8 was sold to British Leyland and the engines may still be in current production as they were used in Range Rovers for years. There's a ton of aftermarket parts available, and it is possible to get a relatively dependable 325-330 net out of a 317 pound engine. I had one in a 12 foot v-bottom Glen-L boat named Stink that was supposed to have a Chevy 4-banger. Lots of people wanted a boat that would go like Stink. Few did. Had many fun hours playing mini ocean racer on Biscayne Bay.
Yep, that's the engine in my D90. Been a good reliable motor for me.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I have owned my 1961 Sunbeam Alpine for 36 years, took this picture two weeks ago.
View attachment 4265
My first car was a 62 Alpine in backyard rattle can black in 1969. Loved that little car and drove it into the dirt until the tranny finally gave up all the syncros. Next car was a 1967 Sunbeam Tiger that was a complete POS. I think in the year I owned it I had about two weeks of trouble free driving. Very fast in a straight line but nothing like an Alpine in the corners. Zero reliability and way too much torque for the rest of the drive train. I see them bring pretty big bucks these days but I just laugh at the guys buying them. Drive it until it brakes and then repair it until the next brake down.

I always wanted an Austin Healey 3000 and still do.

GaryL

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not old enough to be called a classic. The 42 I learned to drive would be. Think any fellow calling himself an outdoorsman had one of these around. I picked up this one and did a frame up. Only change was color, engine and tranny. 350chev and 350 turbo.
i had a53 willys cj2a flat head ,go anywhere,pulllike an ox ,40 mpg,40mph top speed .great hunting buggy.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
I used to have a Austin-Healy Sprite with a Ford 289 in it...needless to say, it was a real hot car back then.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts