TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am no mechanic, but pulled my carb for the first time and cleaned it. I replaced all the parts I could with the All Balls carb rebuild kit, cleaned the rest. The bike had sat for awhile and would not run well at low RPM - lost of surging. But now it is hard to start and will not idle at all. cranked for a long time with and without choke, but finally had to crack the throttle for it to start. It runs smooth enough with throttle, but dies instantly when I let off it.

What did I do wrong?

·
Super Moderator
17,991 Posts
You probably would have been better off using OEM parts.

·
Super Moderator
17,991 Posts
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look for Similar Threads.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
So I am no mechanic, but pulled my carb for the first time and cleaned it. I replaced all the parts I could with the All Balls carb rebuild kit, cleaned the rest. The bike had sat for awhile and would not run well at low RPM - lost of surging. But now it is hard to start and will not idle at all. cranked for a long time with and without choke, but finally had to crack the throttle for it to start. It runs smooth enough with throttle, but dies instantly when I let off it.

What did I do wrong?
What year is it? That will let us know which style, old slide, or new CV, the carb is.

What carb kit did you buy? Was it the right kit for your model year? Did the new jets match?

Did you get the new pilot circuit screw get the a new o-ring properly installed? Did the old one come out properly first? Sometimes they get stuck up there.

If it was a 2001+, did you get the little silver bushing looking thing that goes under the main jet holder put back in? This has been lost by many during a carb cleaning, and being without it can cause the symptoms you describe. See this thread for a breakdown of the CV carb and its parts... http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/881-tk-carb-photos-parts-identification.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so I feel really dumb now. I found my problem - the throttle stop screw was not threaded into the carb. To be more precise, I had put the little washer on BEFORE the spring, and when I thought I had screwed it in all the way it was just binding on the spring. I then unscrewed it enough to back it all the way out, and I have been messing with it like that the rest of the time. Finally found my error tonight and viola! It starts and seems to run well. Tomorrow I will check it out on the road to see if all is well. Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 10.01.55 PM.png

·
Super Moderator
17,991 Posts
Good job bro!! :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey, neighbor! Good to see you've got this dialed in. I'm still trying to figure out Q's problem but it sounded really similar. This carb is brand new so I didn't touch anything inside. I guess it could have some factory-issued maladjustment. Maybe I ought to have a look at that screw!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts