TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a completely dismantled engine and I'm slowly working on getting it cleaned up and ready for a rebuild. I have been cleaning small parts in an ultrasonic cleaner with water and simple green. After clean I rinse them off with water and then apply a little wd40 to coat them so they dont spot rust. I need to clean all the years of dirt, oil, and chain lube off the cases now. What would be recommended for case cleaning? I can use the ultrasonic cleaner, but I'm a little concerned with putting all those bearings and the ultrasonic with simple green then the water rinse. I don't have a solvent tank and I think just degreaser with brushes would take a lifetime. Any thoughts? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
Buy some elbow grease. It really cleans well. You can get it at your local garage in the DIY section. ;)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm... So Im not lazy but the engone has shit all in it from sitting with no side covers for years. the po opened it for work and gave up. I want to do what ever is most thorough and wont trash all the bearings.

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
Just teasing you bro. Working with what you have, I think you just have to try to scrub it part by part, then squirt a little oil back into the bearings or critical areas until it goes back together.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wire attachment to a powerdrill will do wonders. I'm lazy that way I guess.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Be careful what you use on the cases themselves. The inside surfaces of some years' crankcase halves have a black coating which looks suspiciously like powdercoating. If yours has the coating I use soap, water and elbow grease on those cases for fear of loosening or compromising the coating. The rest of the parts should be fair game.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see that black coating on a few things like the inside of the head around where the timing chain goes. The case seems to be bare aluminum on the inside, but the bottom edges of the case have some engine sludge build up (dirty oil sediment I think). It wipes away with your fingers so I'm guessing it is something that needs to go. If the motor had come to me still closed up I would have washed all the crud off the outside before I took it apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts