TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Cleveland National Forest is OPEN! Ya Wannna?

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  lizrdbrth 
#1 ·
Hello So Cal,

Up with the chickens today. Called the Trabuco ranger station and got current road closure conditions, since the web said North Main divide was closed. It's OPEN. Same for Maple Springs & Beeks and . That means Corona or Silverado Canyon to Ortega Hwy is wide open, and everything in between.

It's a beautiful day and I'm going. If anyone want's to meet at Hells Kitchen or Cooks around 11-12, I'll meet ya.

I'm out for an hour or so and I'll check back here towards 10:00 to see if I'm starting at the Silverado or Ortega end.

Rory

#2 ·
Hi all,

Well, made it out Saturday with Ryan for 4 hours, and it was so nice, I headed back into the hills on Sunday. Took the wife 2-up to the top of Santiago Peak for sunset. Sea level to 5000 ft in about an hour.

We rode down the mountain in the dark, which was interesting. Whatever you want to say about the lighting on a TW (more would be better), with your wife on back, you can make the stock lighting work.

I've got a few pictures on my camera, but she's got most on them on her cam and hasn't uploaded them yet.

Had fun. Wish you were there.

Sunset over Catalina Island through a stainless steel tube

Looking towards San Diego

Down into South Orange County. Probably Mission Viejo Lake

#5 ·
So what's Cooks Corner? Looks like a outlaw biker hangout!

Love the sunset picture's. Reminds me of when me and the wife, (sometimes kids) are at fire lookouts late in the day. And talk about a rocky road. At times is looks more like a riverbed than a road. At least you made it up and back to share your ride with us. Looked like a fun ride, thanks for sharing.

It's cold here now, but thanks to you and B-dub with his gas cap camera mount, I might ride the TW to the mailbox and back tomorrow.

#6 ·
I think it used to be an outlaw type biker bar, but Orange County grew up around it so now it feels like RUB central. Everyone mixes though, so it's alright for a stop every once in a while.

#7 ·
Cook's used to be "intimidating" to some, back in the day. There is one particular group of 3-patchers that blows through there occasionally for the express purpose of trying to wreck everyone's day, but other than that it's as safe as your dentist's waiting room nowadays.

Noticed the invite a little too late.

Also wish I hadn't passed riding with Nuckingfutts yesterday. Today and the weekend gunna be the pits.

Did you get much wind damage down there? I'm seeing reports of 80mph?

#8 ·
It's howling here near the coast, so no doubt some trees are going down inland.

Not that Cooks has gone mainstream, but they do "Taco Tuesdays" now, so a little excitement may be good for their image. That's all I'm sayin' on that.

As for the 4 hours advance notice... I've been riding out here in the local hills for six months now and I haven't run across a single TW on the trails in Trabuco district of Cleveland NF. I was just trying to ferret out some interest from a local or two. I like the other folks and bikes I run across out there, but it would be nice to have a TW posse out there representing. Give me a break, really. There are probably 2 million people on all sides of these mountains... and Ryan and I have the only TW's?

It's good to be different.

#9 ·
Captive or not, that area is unique. I just put my blinders on, pretend it's 1930 (or 1970, for that matter) when it was still "the great wide open".

She learned to ride up there. We'd take the old road out of Corona, up and over. Grab a sammich at the Swallows and head back for practice. Lots of smart people with interesting bikes hanging out at Hell's of a Sunday if you don't feel like dirt or if the trails are closed.

You got it made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.