TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I down shift coming to a stoplight. I'm planning on entering the freeway and exiting at the next off ramp, about a mile. Maximum speed limit is 70mph and all trucks with trailers is 55mph. The TW is legal on the freeway, just barely. I enter the freeway and I'm going 60 mph. I can't go 55 mph. Believe me when I say I've tried, just can't do 55. No one else can either, honestly can you? I take the bike up to sixty mph, everything is cool. I twist the throttle some more, one of my most favorite things to do in the whole wide world. Then it happened! For a split second, I thought I was never going to tease Joemama again. The front wheel started VIOLENTLY SHAKING BACK AND FORTH, BACK AND FORTH!!!! I immediately released the throttle thinking at what speed would a motorcyclist stop rolling and start sliding. Luckily, the bike immediately started behaving itself and I exited the freeway at 55mph. Seems I can go 55mph after all. My heart is beating, no doubt about that. Oh ya, breath Dan. That's what your forgetting to do. Breath in, breath out. I thought I was a goner. Thank you LittleTommy for praying for us. The bike is performing fine now. I pull into my garage and check the air pressure and it reads, 6 psi. Perfect for slick rock! Dirts a Flyen SanDue :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I down shift coming to a stoplight. I'm planning on entering the freeway and exiting at the next off ramp, about a mile. Maximum speed limit is 70mph and all trucks with trailers is 55mph. The TW is legal on the freeway, just barely. I enter the freeway and I'm going 60 mph. I can't go 55 mph. Believe me when I say I've tried, just can't do 55. No one else can either, honestly can you? I take the bike up to sixty mph, everything is cool. I twist the throttle some more, one of my most favorite things to do in the whole wide world. Then it happened! For a split second, I thought I was never going to tease Joemama again. The front wheel started VIOLENTLY SHAKING BACK AND FORTH, BACK AND FORTH!!!! I immediately released the throttle thinking at what speed would a motorcyclist stop rolling and start sliding. Luckily, the bike immediately started behaving itself and I exited the freeway at 55mph. Seems I can go 55mph after all. My heart is beating, no doubt about that. Oh ya, breath Dan. That's what your forgetting to do. Breath in, breath out. I thought I was a goner. Thank you LittleTommy for praying for us. The bike is performing fine now. I pull into my garage and check the air pressure and it reads, 6 psi. Perfect for slick rock! Dirts a Flyen SanDue :rolleyes::D
Glad it worked out! Anything heavy strapped behind you?

Mines been steady as a rock even at top speed 70+/-. I'm still on stock front.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The short wheel base that makes the TW handle well off-road isn't designed for high speed. Speed wobbles can be terrifying,
if that's what was happening. Low tire pressure doesn't help!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Glad you made the highway mile OK Dan. I've never felt comfortable lower that 16psi....on any surface! That pressure (6psi) at highway speeds you would have major "ballooning". Impressed it did as well as it did...Keep the prayers coming LT!

·
Registered
175 Posts
There’s a few things one should do before ya ride. But if I was to only do one. It’s Thump the tires . Kickm, slapm, push onm, pickup a rock and wackm. It’s the One thing if the only thing to to before take off. Or you can get Bucked Off. Most the time first though is gas. Ever try and push a bike full of gas with a flat tire? It’s the One thing. THUMP THE TIRES.

·
Super Moderator
4,881 Posts
Join the club Dan - the "we don't need no steenking air in our tires" club that is

Glad you made it OK - tank slappers can be a bitch ........

·
Registered
19,578 Posts
Sounds like that was way too close to disaster.
How close are Redding's fires to you?

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Glad you made the highway mile OK Dan. I've never felt comfortable lower that 16psi....on any surface! That pressure (6psi) at highway speeds you would have major "ballooning". Impressed it did as well as it did...Keep the prayers coming LT!
I DO pray for all my friends here. :)

·
Registered
19,578 Posts
I was afraid we were going to see SanDue on Google Earth's Street View. Let us all try to stay safe out there. LittleTommy's prayers help but so does situational awareness. Google Street View motorcycle crash 2.jpg

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like that was way too close to disaster.
How close are Redding's fires to you?

The fire is burning away from us, we are safe. Joemama is the one we need to pray for! I believe Joes property is the only thing left to burn around Clear Lake. Stay safe Joe Dirts a Flyen SanDue:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had my 2015 tw200 doing 80 down hill before no problem check your tire pressure and change the stock front tire if it is still on there

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a different Yamaha that did that - terrifying! Eventually figured out that an underinflated rear tire at speed was the culprit. Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts