TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The mountain goatiest gearing combo I remember reading about someone using on here was 12-72. Check out the gearing commander sites for the % of change, a couple are stickies somewhere...maybe in the Tech Write-up section.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Captain, I have 2 Tw's set up with 12/55. They are Mountain Goats for sure.
I now most of the time start out in second gear unless I'm on a up hill. That makes first gear like a granny gear.
Top cruising speed is probably about 35 mph. But they will go 45 mph if needed.
I did not have to change or bend anything everything fit great,
I did buy new chains when I bought my Sprockets.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Captain, I have 2 Tw's set up with 12/55. They are Mountain Goats for sure.
I now most of the time start out in second gear unless I'm on a up hill. That makes first gear like a granny gear.
Top cruising speed is probably about 35 mph. But they will go 45 mph if needed.
I did not have to change or bend anything everything fit great,
I did buy new chains when I bought my Sprockets.

I run the stock front and a 72 rear from Sprocket Spec. I'm 6'4 and 220. I use the bike mainly for hunting and technical single track here in Utah and Idaho. For slow steep mountain single track riding you can't do any better in my opinion. I also have a TW with stock front and 60 rear but when the going gets technical and steep above 9K feet the 72 rear is my go to bike....

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Personally, I don't think I would go to a 12. It's just so tight of a radius and more stressful on the chain and will probably wear out faster.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,251 Posts
Any advance on 90 - last call Ladies and Gentlemen - we have 90 bid - do I hear 92 ......

·
Registered
323 Posts
But would the rear tire even have any traction to use the newly available stump pulling torque? What kind of hill do you plan to attack at max RPM, 3 mph in first gear?

Unless you intend to enter it into tractor sled pulling contest?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
so ive ran 12 55 for years and I can answer a few questions for you. 12 tooth sprockets do indeed wear faster and going beyond a 55 tooth is not likely to make a better bike for you as you do most of yo u r hill climb g in second gear. also larger than 55 tooth is go I ng t o cost a lot of money and made of aluminum so wears very fast. also even 12 55 is not really useful on a road yo u r cruuise speed might be only 35 mph. if yo u go to 7 0 tooth yo u re go I n g to be s I significantly slower than that.

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts