TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, this is not going to happen again.

Threads that even look like they are going to go down "that road" will be shut.

Thread closed.

That even "look" like they might? That's a high level of prescience.

Certainly your call and your privilege as an administrator. I can make your job a bit easier too. You won't have to close down another thread started by me.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Almost funny,{almost} the guy behind the curtain, shows up once in a Blue Moon, and shuts down one of the more harmless threads.....wow..., just "WOW"...

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Leave the good threads up and running please and just delete the bad posts that raise issues due to baiting and fighting.

Baiters and fighters need to do it personally by PM rather than chase good members away with their attitudes and negative posts.

We love your posts and threads Borneo! Don't stop please.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Borneo, I don't think is was the original post causing the closure, but what happened a some point thereafter.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
You are right, it's not Borneo...but this is the 2nd, and mostly likely last, time one of his harmless threads will be shut down....I've come to know the man personally over the past 10 months, and this is not good.

We have had threads on here that have gotten way out of hand, and usually when they do, especially if Borneo was the originator, he would ask that they be closed and removed...this thread had his original post and one reply, that disagreed with some points....

Just saying, if you run off one of our better and more intelligent adventure riders and outdoorsman by "banging" his posts...you end up with a pretty bland oatmeal.

For the most part we have been able to deal with ourselves and our posts, unlike the ADV Nazi Patrol, that parades around as Moderators over in it's half assed basement site{the rest of ADV is AOK, although filled with BS Artists and liars to the Nth degree in some areas} and cuts anybody off to the right of Ho Chi....

Just my 2 cents..take a look at the increased numbers on this forum, both up and down sides, over the past 18 months and tell me it is headed in the wrong direction?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I thought the "Off Topic" threads were supposed to be more open to people who want to discuss these topics or debate different topics.

I feel the Admin went overboard in this situation.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see that NickJ just closed down Ebbanfloods repost of the thread "The Greatest Generation" His post in doing this is as follows:

Wow. This thread was closed yesterday and hours later there is an identical thread posted.

This one is closed too.
No, Nick, you are mistaken. The thread is not identical. It merely contains a link to a great story people enjoyed reading and positive comments. It doesn't contain the negative language of the original. That's a huge difference. In fact, the repost looks like what the original should have looked like if you had merely removed the offending posts and left the thread alone for the enjoyment of the members. It's bizarre that this is the only thread I've ever seen closed. Did you even read the story? It's the least offensive thing you can imagine. It's a feel good story about a simple guy who nobody really took note of while he lived and yet he was far more than they realized. There's no politics, no religion, no offensive anything. If you are seriously gong to close down good respectable posts because you "anticipate" someone may post something offensive, then you really don't have much of a forum left, do you?

And FYI, the term "The Greatest Generation" is an accepted term for this man's generation. It was coined by Tom Brokaw. It wasn't created by me as any kind of statement.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pick my words apart all you like. The constant frustration of having to babysit threads to make sure that they do not "go down that road" is getting tiresome. The mods are getting tired of it, as am I. Whatever you would like to believe about my presence here is your prerogative. My post count does not dictate my presence.

When threads go poorly, the desire to "Leave the good threads up and running please and just delete the bad posts that raise issues due to baiting and fighting" goes out the window a bit. When the offending members decide to act a fool in good threads, unfortunately everyone suffers. This is the sad part of it because those members "get off" on the attention of their posts being deleted and don't have anything better to do than just keep poking and prodding.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The original post in the thread contained the identical verbiage as the thread that was closed yesterday. (Kind of disrespectful yeah? Kind of an adolescent move that is more at home in 6th grade science class) So in that regard, a repost would be deleted.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You make the rules Nick. I'm not contesting that. I was simply pointing out the route now being traveled on. Certainly I know some people make your and the moderators jobs difficult. And you get to choose the tools you use to do the job.

In defense of Ebbanflood, who happens to be a prince of a guy, the repost, while captioned the same, clearly indicated by it's language it was a repost. The link was indeed the same, but the language was not mine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have nothing against Ebbanflood and his post ruffled my feathers none at all. It was a post that could be construed as a blatant slap in the face of the staff's authority to shut problem threads and it too was shut.

There are those that make things difficult for the staff and the members alike and we need the help of the membership to keep threads on the straight and narrow so that I don't have to punish those that are doing right by closing threads. I don't like doing it in the least, so don't think that I am just on this power trip and get off on closing threads and banning people. I would rather just have everyone chat civilly and keep it on the up and up so that we don't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I find it ironic that the complaint was taken seriously by admins given the reporter is someone who calls other members retarded and constantly threatens to kill people.

Whatever. It's their domain and we are all guests. :D

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
It was a good thread and it deserved to be read, even if I believe some of the original responses did not. Will it give away my true identity if I give myself a 6 month suspension?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts