TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
?Harley Rider Crosses Creek With Wife And Kid, Laughs At Your ADV

Whoever wrote this article doesn't have even the tiniest inkling of real dual sporting or adventure riding. This "creek" is actually just that, a tiny little creek. Just about anyone with just about any vehicle could easily cross that tiny little stream. So this Harley rider "laughs at your ADV"? The people taking the video were also painfully clueless, sitting there on dual sports afraid of absolutely nothing, and likewise amazed by absolutely nothing. The author claims that "sometimes adventure bikes are overkill"...of course they're overkill when you don't use them. Any purpose-built machine is overkill if you do nothing with it! The stupidity of this author, video, and article just got on my nerves. So I thought I'd share it :) Alas, perhaps I ought not be so critical; I suppose this could seem "interesting" to someone who'd never even thought about riding any kind of motorcycle anywhere, in any way, ever before...

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
I kind of agree with you, but think of the audience the author is targeting in Lanesplitter. I cannot belittle anything that encourages us to go out and ride any type of bike, it is all good. Sure we may laugh at the article, maybe as hard as a 45hp KTM owner who sees one of my put-putting off road videos on this forum may laugh at me. Pride is good, but is best tempered with a dose of reality from time to time. I forgive the author, so many write without experience nor knowledge of subject material.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I suppose you have a point. If I change my perspective quite a lot (try to shift it toward that of the target audience, as you say), I suppose it might not seem so bad :)

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Please don't think I was criticizing you kj. Upon reflection you are very correct .

Reactions: kj7687

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please don't think I was criticizing you kj. Upon reflection you are very correct .
No, I didn't think that at all :)

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Well, unlike most young adults these days, at least you do think.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Nice to have you back Qwerty.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Back in WW 1 & 2 it was very common that soldiers riding some mighty big bikes of those days got in to some gnarly terrain and got right through it. That would not even be called a creek around here, more in the line of a mud puddle with some rain run off.

On a different note, Would you buy a used full dress Harley from this guy? You might want to drive up on a mirror for a good inspection!

GaryL

·
Registered
197 Posts
Back in WW 1 & 2 it was very common that soldiers riding some mighty big bikes of those days got in to some gnarly terrain and got right through it. That would not even be called a creek around here, more in the line of a mud puddle with some rain run off.

On a different note, Would you buy a used full dress Harley from this guy? You might want to drive up on a mirror for a good inspection!

GaryL

Back in 1952 I drove my Harley some terrible places. I would hate to see what the journalist would have said. I would also hate to see a video of me trying to get the Harley off it's side :rolleyes:

·
Banned
10,664 Posts

Back in 1952 I drove my Harley some terrible places. I would hate to see what the journalist would have said. I would also hate to see a video of me trying to get the Harley off it's side :rolleyes:
Don't remind me, but in my case it was an Indian. With car tires.

Reactions: fielding

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Are you talking about an Indian Four? No, you are not that old. My second bike was an Indian Four. I think it was heaver than the Harley 61.
Army surplus 841. Gift from my great-grandfather. It was old and well-loved when it was handed down to me. Old and worn but ran great. Never had a problem with it. Wish I had never sold it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Army surplus 841. Gift from my great-grandfather. It was old and well-loved when it was handed down to me. Old and worn but ran great. Never had a problem with it. Wish I had never sold it.
I don't suppose you have a photo of yours? I only had mine about a year and it was so long ago I am having a difficult time remembering a lot about it. I know it was much better looking than the Harley. It was almost new and I paid $200 for it, can you believe what inflation has done to us? I found a photo on the web that looks a lot like the one I had.

Indian.jpg

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I'm too ugly for pictures. Cameras break when I walk by.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts