TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when bouncing up and down on the bike (or going over bumps), i get a clunk, which sounds like its coming from under the seat. I think at least. Hard to tell when you are on the bike. I'm thinking rear shock, but, was wondering if anyone has had this before.

Somewhere i have a video of it, i'll try and get up later, hopefully. Lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
Possibly the battery is not secured or the bushings on the shock are worn out.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Could be lower shock mount, it's just a plain pin through 2 thin lugs on the swingarm. But check also that the top mounting bolt is tight.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Make sure all of your motor mounting bolts are secure. There should be a rubber pad under the rear fuel tank mounting bolt. Any such clunking should be seriously investigated and the source found before you do much riding.

GaryL

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking possibly shock too. I looked and tried to move it by hand and all seemed good. I didnt think to look at the tank. I did switch my tank to an xt tank, so i'll look there again. Also check the motor mounts. Been too cold to ride it anywhere but around the field, so no long trips planned. Did have fun in the snow the other day.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ive experienced this same clunk noise as well. It sounds to me like there is something loose under the tank that pops up and taps it when going over a bump. Only happens when there is a lot of force hitting the bump, not little ones.
I thought about it being the battery, but it doesn't seem like that to me (could be though). I've checked for anything loose and not found anything that could be making the noise. I've even thought it might be a cable slapping against something metal (clunk sounds like metal contact to me) but that doesn't seem to be it either.
Still a mystery on my bike, let us know if you discover anything.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Not sure if this will work or not. Let me know if you can see video from this link

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XD9BkB3vbcwk96Jq8
Video works without sound. I can't see from here what might be causing the clunk. Some members have had issues with the steering bearings in the tree going bad and reported clunking. I think I would remove the tank and try your hop test again without the tank.

GaryL

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless it's the forks - but that's more like a "clack" .....
Ya its weird, it takes on more of a clunk sound with the seat on and going over bumps or jumping up and down. I'll try another video and to pinpoint it more, soon as i get a warmer day, lol. ;)

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Nice helpful video Zac. Sounds like possibly the aluminum fitting atop the hose leading from intake manifold is not secured to the frame and is thus tapping the underside of the XT tank. That hose and fitting act a bit like a surge tower absorbing some of the pressure fluctuations in the intake tract each time the intake valve cycles open and closed.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Nice helpful video Zac. Sounds like possibly the aluminum fitting atop the hose leading from intake manifold is not secured to the frame and is thus tapping the underside of the XT tank. That hose and fitting act a bit like a surge tower absorbing some of the pressure fluctuations in the intake tract each time the intake valve cycles open and closed.
I wondered what that was for

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Like others have said remove the tank (and maybe even the seat) and do the same test. Just use the pegs to compress. Sounded to me like it was coming from under the tank, but hard to tell.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I had a similar issue at first I thought it was a suspension issue then I thought it was the kickstand opening and snapping closed. Turns out it was a worn out front sprocket skipping it's teeth when I did jumps wheelies or even popping the clutch for a donut.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Check to see if the hold down strap is on the tool kit in the right side cover. Tool kit clunking around?

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
The sound is a wonderful diagnostic tool if we pay attention.
Listening to the sound from Zack's video shot with the seat off it is hard to imagine the anomalous sound as coming from anything other than a thin shell metallic plenum, i.e. the gas tank. Suspension noises from front or rear do not make this timbre, nor do light objects hitting any plastic, nor a battery bouncing around, frame noises, loose bolts, etc.
I would remove the tank and re-test to see if any discernible noises or movement can be noted.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I’m wondering if it has something to do with the chain. In the video the sound is fairly repeatable when the rear end is pushed down. It sounds like a popping to me. Could the chain be binding or popping off a badly worn sprocket or the chain tensioner? Is the chain adjusted properly and does it move freely when the tire is rotated?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I’m wondering if it has something to do with the chain. In the video the sound is fairly repeatable when the rear end is pushed down. It sounds like a popping to me. Could the chain be binding or popping off a badly worn sprocket or the chain tensioner? Is the chain adjusted properly and does it move freely when the tire is rotated?
That's why I suggest it could be the chain slipping teeth on the front sprocket. It can make an alarming noise and jolt through the entire bike and the source is like this one, originating from under the seat.

But now that I heard the video and see that the bike is stationary....It sounds like the kickstand slapping.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts