TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a clunk feel when going down gears into I think second. Dang I might be off one. Is that normal? Any reason why? Sometimes I’ll downshift all the way to first when stopping. Is that not recommended? New guy to riding. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Yes, the TW clunks on downshifts. It can be lessened by learning how much to rev during the downshift. You want to bring the RPMs up to whatever they will be in the next lower gear after releasing the clutch. This will vary somewhat depending on whether you are braking hard on the downshift, going up or down hills, etc. If you do it right there won't be much clunking....it's just a quick little blip.

I always shift into first at a stop, but only at the last few feet because you can skid the rear wheel if you do it at too high of a speed.....Don't ask me how I know this! At stoplights I ALWAYS want to be in first gear because if you are about to get rear-ended you need instantaneous acceleration! :shocked:

·
Registered
678 Posts
My bike has a noticeably louder sound when shifting down to first compared to the other gears. I can't say whether that is normal or not, but sometimes on the trail it helps quickly confirm that I'm all the way down before tackling that hill climb.

Reactions: Darth

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Dave, that's "probably" normal.
The relatively wide gap between a T-Dub's 1st & 2nd gears can cause it as the gears try to mesh up .

Try this: just as you de-clutch & downshift from 2nd to 1st, blip the throttle just a bit.
Don't do the 2-1 downshift too soon, wait until you are close to stopping, but not so much that you have to put a foot down.
That should do it...if not, play with the timing of the sequence.

It's easier to do than explain...he says as he sips the last of his first Jack Daniels 'Devil's Cut'/Rocks of the evening! :tickled_pink:

Reactions: reddave

·
Registered
653 Posts
My bike has a noticeably louder sound when shifting down to first compared to the other gears. I can't say whether that is normal or not, but sometimes on the trail it helps quickly confirm that I'm all the way down before tackling that hill climb.
The difference in the ratio from second to first is greater than any other two gears. The heavier clunk sound is the sudden and greater amount of jar as the speed of the trans shaft has to match the speed of rear wheel now being driven by the rear wheel but at a much higher speed because of the much lower ratio. If you blip the throttle as you start to pull in the clutch you will speed up the trans shaft just before the downshift to first and the sudden jar will not be as harsh as first in engaged. And it is better for all aspects of the transmission and clutch.

Reactions: reddave and Darth

·
Registered
653 Posts
Oops sorry Darth! You beat me to the punch as I was slow typing.

Reactions: Darth

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
And you did it all without any Jack Daniels!
Or did you...

Reactions: reddave

·
Registered
653 Posts
I uh, well, er uh . . . was that a trick question?

Reactions: Darth and reddave

·
Registered
4 Posts
It can be lessened by learning how much to rev during the downshift.
This is known in the auto racing business as double-clutching. In a car you usually tip your right foot half off the brake to give the gas a little boost as you're letting out the clutch. On a motorcycle it's a bit easier because you don't have to work three pedals with two feet.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I used to do that! Back when I had stick shifts....ummmm, about 40 years ago. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts