TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else experience this when they downshift sometimes. It doesn't happen all the time to me. sometimes when I shift down I get the normal click and other times it clunks and makes a lot more noise. Anyone know why this might happen?

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts
They are clunky and older technology. It kinda comes with the bike. You have to think old school bikes where you had to blip the throttle a little and try to match up the road speed with the gear you are trying to go into. A little practice and you will find out where is the sweet spot for downshifting. First gear clunks sometimes no matter what you do. Don't worry about it, the TW can take it.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Too-high idle speed, down shifting into first at too-high speed, too little or improper viscosity oil (or even just cold temps - making the oil cold), or an improperly adjusted clutch could all cause that effect. Some "click" is normal, but a loud "clunk" or a "bang" is not. Make sure you are pulling the clutch lever in all the way and that you close the throttle completely when you down shift.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes these are very clunky machines..! I'm yet to achieve a perfect downshift on a TW..! Lol

Sent from my MT15i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thought the same thing when I first rode mine (new). I adjusted the clutch to where it disengages in the first 1/3 of lever movement just to make sure it was disengaging in full motion ... still does it.

It doesnt clunk so bad when you downshift according to gear relation to speed. If you try to down shift from 4th to 2nd or 1st, @ 30 mph for example, it will clunk much worse than downshifting to 1st below 10mph.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
As long as I downshift one gear at a time and let the motor slow down between shifts mine is very quiet.. I just keep doing this until I'm ready to stop, then it's into 1st.. Both our 06 dubs do the same thing. The only trouble my wife has is going into neutral. Some times she goes by it..I use full syn. 10/40w.. When I changed to this oil it really helped my wife's neutral problem a lot.OMM.;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses. I guess its just kinda the nature of the beast. I just had to ask about it being my first motorcycle and wanted to make sure nothing internally was messed up. Its still under warranty if it is.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
A clunk means it shifted to another gear. After you have ridden it awhile you will recognize a double clunk - yep thats first gear and its nice to be able to recognize it when its needed as the light turns green. If you want a clunk, you should buy an HD (my friends 91 softtail makes my TW200 and my Vulcan seem like purring kittens. Tom

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a different subject, I now have 611 miles on my bike that I bought brand new in April. Do you guys think that a re-jet will would be worth it for a slight boost in performance. I know it would be relatively cheap because a new main jet is about 10$ and shims would be a few dollars. Im at 615 feet above sea level and i would never get about 800. Im hearing a lot of people having a lot of luck with a 130 main jet with 2 needle shims. Would I also need a new pilot jet?

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts
Yes on the pilot jet. A re-jet is worth it. You can get an impressive bit of power out of a rebuild. I noticed much more torque and more power. Mine is a 87, so I can't advise you on what size though. Your carb is different than mine.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Wrong rpm? That's the only time I get it to do that. Most of the time it is perfectly smooth

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Last week rebuilt carb on my 2010 TW using all the great info here on the forum. Before rebuild, bike was difficult to start, needed choke to keep running until fully warmed up, LOTS of back fire on decel. The bike only had 970 miles on it and sat for a while before I bought. Did a complete carb tear down and ultrasonic clean. As suggested, I went with a 130 main jet (288-14343-65-00) and #34 ( 5LB-14342-17-00) pilot jet. Also added two shims to raise the needle jet about .058 ( used some washers I had in my parts bin). Set the float to the high limit, used a new bowl gasket, and turned the pilot air jet out 2 1/4 turns from light seat. Was apprehensive when it was time to start the bike after reassembly- What a very pleasant surprise when the bike started right up and idled pretty good ( did some minor adjustment). My daughter was over giving me moral support ( she has a TW also). She was impressed- so was I !!! Kept thinking something would go wrong, but have put over 200 miles on the bike since the rebuild and all is good Thanks to those here on the forum that shared their experiences- couldn't have done it without you!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts