TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to take the right side cover off and do the adjustment I've heard if to get the arrow to line back up. Note pic. Once I get the cover off how do I adjust the clutch so the arrow lines up to the mark. I have searched and not found any results that explain this. I will also have the other side off to do a sprocket change. Any advice would be appreciated. image.jpg image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Rob, this is a easy one. Looking at your pic, it is out of adjustment, and I think you will notice a nice difference adjusting it. Basically, once you pull off the right side cover, look at the clutch boss and in the center you will see a lock nut and a screw inside that has a slot. Loosen the nut, put a screwdriver in the center and turn until the lever lines up with the mark on the case, tighten the locknut and you are done. You will need a right side cover gasket. Here is a link with a picture.
http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/7921-clutch-push-rod-adjustment.html

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Enlarge the pics on the link and you can read what the manual actually says. It's a little fuzzy, but you can see it. You have to push the lever over by hand a little. My bike was out of adjustment about as much as yours. I love my clutch now! It's still a short engagement, but that's the way it's made. Once you are done, adjust the cable at the adjustment point on the cable, then finishing with the final adjustment at the clutch lever itself. Make sure spring is attached on the pointer at case. You'll like it. Please give us an update later on. Glad to be a help.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You might just want to install heavy duty clutch springs . They are a cheap upgrade

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New sprockets, chain, right side gasket, clutch adjusted, fresh Mobil 1 synthetic, put everything back together and started on the second kick. It was leaking a little bit before I started it, then I found a few screws that needed to be tightened. After driving it was leaking pretty bad for sure the right side, maybe the left too. It was running better though. Still need to adjust the clutch cables better.
Back to the leak, I think it is because I'm lazy and didn't get all of the old gasket residue off of the case.. How do I get it all off? The left side gasket stayed mostly in tact so I didn't change it.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The gasket surfaces of the covers and engine side must be clean and smooth with no remnants of the old gaskets remaining. I use a straight razor blade and be very careful to not gouge the aluminum. On the left side while changing the front sprocket it is foolish to not also replace the three seals. One is the shift lever and the other 2 are on the sprocket shaft, one against the engine and one in the side cover. Being lazy is not a good excuse when doing this service and you only end up doing it right because you did it twice!

GaryL

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
After scraping most of the gasket off when I replaced my base gasket with a puddy knife, I used a scotch bright type scrubbing pad to removed the remaining gasket material. Worked fast, easy and did a good job.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was using a razor blade and accidentally put a few small gauges in the metal which made me want to stop scraping the old gasket get off. Do you think the gasket I just put on last night will be fine till Sunday or will I need to order another one? Also the clutch feels much smoother but engages at the very end of letting the lever movement, would stiffer springs change that? Also it shifts like butter now.
Also some of the gasket gunk left on the engine part of the case seems difficult to get at and what is a good way to avoid getting gunk scraps from getting inside the case?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being lazy is not a good excuse when doing this service and you only end up doing it right because you did it twice!

GaryL

It is a problem I know I have I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

·
Registered
386 Posts
put a sheet of 300+ wet n dry sandpaper on a bench/flat surface and lay the case gasket side down and rub in a circular direction within the sheet of paper..you should end up with a shiny surface for the gasket….engine side you will have to go slow n careful with a razor blade, scraper, etc mentioned above.

heavy duty clutch spings will make all the difference

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
I was using a razor blade and accidentally put a few small gauges in the metal which made me want to stop scraping the old gasket get off. Do you think the gasket I just put on last night will be fine till Sunday or will I need to order another one? Also the clutch feels much smoother but engages at the very end of letting the lever movement, would stiffer springs change that? Also it shifts like butter now.
Also some of the gasket gunk left on the engine part of the case seems difficult to get at and what is a good way to avoid getting gunk scraps from getting inside the case?
With the stock clutch springs, yes the engagement is pretty far towards the end. Many many folks have expierienced this. I've never used non-stock springs, so I'll have to abstain from answering this with my own expierence, but as supachip1 mentioned, as well as others, different springs or perhaps adding washers may help in this regard.

You may want to avoid using gasket maker/sealant, but if you do use it, use it very sparinly. I used an extremly thin "tac" coat on my left cover the other day just to help keep the gasket from moving around when installing the cover. Nothing squeezed out I used so little.

Only you can be the judge if your gasket is working well enough to keep riding. If it was a minor seepage without drops, I'd probably keep riding. If drops were present, well, not me just cause!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I slightly mutilated the seal over the kick starter so I will need to order one of those and a shift lever seal, I already have the other two seals. I think I am going to get new clutch plates and heavy duty springs, the bike has 10,000 miles on it. Would the clutch plates be pretty worn if my adjustment was that far off? If they are not bad I don't want to replace them. Also this is the first real bike I have dug into and I know I make a lot of impatient mistakes but I do learn from them and everyone's help is greatly appreciated. Thank you...

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Also if I do put new clutch plates in are there any surprise gaskets seals o-rings I will need to replace?
There are some very good after market clutch packs that have the heavier springs and all the parts necessary except the gasket. In the search just type in clutch and threads should pop up for your enjoyment.

You know Rob, most of us learned the same way you are by doing things, sometimes wrong the first time. If I can pass along any real knowledge outside of on the TW it will be to slow down, do it right, don't cut corners or try to slap things together as good enough and keep your work area clean and uncluttered. The repair shops have time limitations to deal with but we don't!

GaryL

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took the right side cover off the gasket still looks good it was only on for 12 hours. Or should I just buy a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
They are worn out some, as to the degree, who knows? I would think putting in new clutch plates would be a good idea. It's wear that moves the pointer away from the mark on the case. You could probably get by just fine, but you don't want to have to go in there again in 5,000 more miles, do you? As to heavier springs, I don't know. Mine are stock, so I can't say. I will do it when I go in there again though. No extra needed gaskets, seals, O-rings needed that I can think of. Good job bro, you're moving right along.

·
Registered
20,207 Posts
Admirals thin "tac" coat of Permatex or whatever is a good idea for this and other applications to hold a gasket in place during reassembly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok heavy duty clutch plates and springs are ordered. I went to the yamaha dealer yesterday and they had both the kick start seal and shift lever seal in stock as well as a right side case cover bolt. I was pretty shocked they had them in stock. Also I put some gasket remover on Friday, and yesterday I scraped it off with a plastic razor blade from Napa also and it worked great. So now just waiting for the new clutch parts.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts