TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an idea on how to get the clutch boss nut removed ( With out ) the specified clutch holder tool?

I've tried all sorts of ways to keep it from spinning while I try to loosen the nut, but no success....

I've seen SO many creative tricks on here, anyone have any ideas to help me out?

Thanks!

Clutch Assembly by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm not sure if this would work but it's what I would try.......Put the bike in gear then tie the rear wheel rim and sprocket down tightly to the swingarm. Tie up using loads of different pressure points so as to spread the load and not risk the chance of snapping the spokes.

Spray nut with loads of penetrating oil first and then apply pressure with a good power bar or extended ratchet.

I have no idea if this would work but its all I can think off besides making the actual proper tool which I've normally done in the past myself ......good luck!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an air tool too, but the whole clutch assembly spins. I can't find a way to hold it still when I'm trying to loosen it.....

Did you just let the clutch basket spin? I can't see how it's possible to loosen the nut if the whole thing spins...

Does this make sense, perhaps I'm not explaining it right?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Grant!

That's a great idea!

My bad, I totally neglected to mention the engine is out of the frame!

So I need to figure out a way to hold it in place, even thought it's not connected to the chain etc......

I was trying to hold it in place with vice grips but i was too afraid to stripping the out put shaft, where the sprocket mounts....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Belt wrench.

Buy one at Harbor Freight, or if you have any old straps laying around you can rig one up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Are any of those metal gears behind it turning when the clutch turns? I've jammed a penny inside metal gears like that on Vespa engines when I rebuilt them to keep the clutch from turning. The penny is sacrificial given it's made of zinc, but it locks up the engine so you can remove the nut. I'm not sure it'd work in this case, and obviously don't jam it into that plastic gear

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for all the help!!!

I finally got it, I was able to jam an old rag in the gears that stopped it up enough to loosen the nut!

Phew, it took quite an effort to get this one though.....man was that tight, felt like a million Lb/ft to get that baby off, HaHA! Lol!

Thanks again for the ideas!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts