TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy all!
I bought two 2015 TW200's for myself and my 13 y/o son. So far we love the bikes and after taking the MSF basic rider safety course, my boy is coming along nicely. My question is about the clutch. It seems to be all or nothing.
It starts engaging about halfway out and seems to be fully engaged in about a half an inch. Does this seem normal, or should it be more gradual? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
That's fairly normal. Just make sure that your clutch spring is correctly attached on the crankcase side, and that the clutch lever (handlebar side) free play is set correctly (check owner's manual for specs). Congrats on the new bikes btw! Your son's a lucky guy!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks KJ,
I did a LOT of research before purchasing these bikes and so far I am very pleased. I do wish I had discovered this forum before now. However, reading many of the posts here only reaffirm my decision.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Thanks KJ,
I did a LOT of research before purchasing these bikes and so far I am very pleased. I do wish I had discovered this forum before now. However, reading many of the posts here only reaffirm my decision.
Thanks again!

No problem man. I'm right there with you, as I just bought a new XT 250 ;) You may have already heard, but while you're here, watch out for those oil filters! Yamaha mis-packages them sometimes and it can destroy your engine. So just make sure when you change the oil, that the filter you put in is exactly the same as what comes out!

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Welcome!!

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Thanks KJ,
Thanks again!
I wish I had discovered it at least sooner than I did!:D

One day 5 years after owning my first TW, I was looking for pictures, when I ran into the forum. I too was always worried about how far the clutch engaged. Boy what I learned.

Hope you and your son have a TWON of fun while creating memories of adventures!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I had discovered it at least sooner than I did!:D

One day 5 years after owning my first TW, I was looking for pictures, when I ran into the forum. I too was always worried about how far the clutch engaged. Boy what I learned.

Hope you and your son have a TWON of fun while creating memories of adventures!
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
It starts engaging about halfway out and seems to be fully engaged in about a half an inch. ....
Yes, it's normal. After you get about 1500 miles on them you can switch to full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 4T Racing, and the clutch will get smoother....it won't change the small friction zone, just smoother engagement and easier shifting in general.

As for the oil filter, they are designed to be cleaned and re-used many times. You should change the oil and clean the filter more often initially than the manual indicates, like 50 miles, 200 miles, and 600 miles. These old technology engines produce a lot of metal initially....get rid of it!

tw200_30 mile change002.JPG

This was my filter at 30 miles!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yamaha cables are usually pretty good from new but you never know when they might change their source, especially on our lower priced bikes. Might pay to lube the clutch cable as well.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look it up in the manual.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it's normal. After you get about 1500 miles on them you can switch to full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 4T Racing, and the clutch will get smoother....it won't change the small friction zone, just smoother engagement and easier shifting in general.

As for the oil filter, they are designed to be cleaned and re-used many times. You should change the oil and clean the filter more often initially than the manual indicates, like 50 miles, 200 miles, and 600 miles. These old technology engines produce a lot of metal initially....get rid of it!

View attachment 21085

Thanks for the info. I think I'll change it this weekend as he already has about 75 miles on it.

·
Registered
424 Posts

View attachment 21085

I second and highly recommend the use of mobil1 4t after 2,000+ miles. I've bought used bikes that would barely shift and after a few thousand miles of the good stuff they were all smooth as silk. Engine runs much better too. 67k + miles on my CB900 and it runs better than when I got it at 19k. It's expensive but worth it if you want your bikes to go 50k miles and beyond.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome to the Forum wenjen4. It is truly a fine group of individuals. I really like cleaning and re-using the factory oil filter. It is the best way to avoid getting the wrong filter and blowing your engine ! I usually use some chemtool or wd40 with the nozzle and blow it out from the inside. I could be having a senior moment:p, but I could swear my filter is a pleated fine screen? But it's been awhile since I changed the oil. It's an '06 and had a few miles on it when I got it so it could have a different filter in it. Have fun with your twins!

best regards, MAC

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
..... It's expensive but worth it if you want your bikes to go 50k miles and beyond.
It would be if you were using four quarts at each change, but after break-in a TW only needs one quart every 2,000 miles except in really harsh conditions....That's the difference between $3.99 and $8.99 once a year for many of us. Is your engine's longevity worth $5 a year to you? It sure as hell is to me! But the biggest benefit is improved shifting and clutch action.....THAT is worth about $150 a year to me.:p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

View attachment 21085

This brings up a new question for me. Should I go ahead and use the Mobil 1 4t racing oil in my new bikes, or wait until 2k miles?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought 2 2015s too. The clutch action on both was horrible. I removed the cables and lubed them with a Teflon based gun oil (Tetra Lube). Lubed and greased all pivot points too. 500 miles or so later the action is quite acceptable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought 2 2015s too. The clutch action on both was horrible. I removed the cables and lubed them with a Teflon based gun oil (Tetra Lube). Lubed and greased all pivot points too. 500 miles or so later the action is quite acceptable.
Thanks for the tip. Gonna have to try this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
A big thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and all the great advice! One of my greatest regrets in life is that I didn't keep and maintain my original bike when I was 14. I had a 1975 Honda CB125S. I have tried to find another one and the ones I have found are either roached out or way out of my price range. I'm hoping to help my son learn to ride and maintain his bike in such a way that he will create his own legacy.
Again, thanks all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts