TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am changing to a 47 tooth rear sprocket. I thought for some reason the clutch was under the left side cover, so while I'm in there I figured I'd put in new heavy duty clutch springs and new plates.

I have 5 Barnett friction discs (tabs on outside)

From Modesto CA ebayer motorcyclemx-2009

Barnett Clutch Kit with Clutch Spring KIT.

FITS YAMAHA TW 200 1978 - 2018

Kit has, 5 KEVLAR FRICTION PLATES , and COMPLETE SPRING KIT*

.. but in researching the replacement I realize I need clutch plates (tabs on inside) too.

Parts manual shows 4 on page C3 -

9 137—16324—00 PLATE, CLUTCH 1 4

Screenshot_2018-04-17-21-52-08.png

I guess I need these to?! I read I'll need to replace ALL clutch parts to get it to work right.

My confusion is everywhere I look I see "friction plates" with tabs on outside. Any source for "clutch plates"?
I'm going to check with motorcyclemx-2009 and see if he supplies these too.

Also, is clutch basket holder -https://www.partsgiant.com/p342035-ebc-clutch-installation-and-removal-tool?m=564901&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7s2ktt3C2gIVUEsNCh3bKwWTEAQYASABEgKHVPD_BwE - necessary?

Thx!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
You can replace just the friction discs and springs unless there is damage to the metal plates. Inspect them well. The clutches are on the other side of the engine from the sprocket. I used the same set on mine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More than likely! It is pretty light. I pulled in the clutch on a friends Harley and thought it was going break my fingers! I bet it won't be that bad.

An aside - helping said friend get a sidecar rig together on a shovelhead. Rolling chassis right now, more picts as it builds-

1523286591192.png

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slipping a bit when revving in 3rd or 4th under load. Was going to do just springs, figured do it all. Nedsca new cable too, as it is at end of adjustment.

Plus I'm stoopid and can't leave well enough alone!

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
If you keep the metal friction plates clean them up (lightly) with fine steel wool and solvent before reassembly. It will help the new clutch plates break in properly. Best of luck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts