TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problem with my shifting on my 2008 TW200. Bike only has about 2900 miles on it. I did change my gearing to get more to get more high end speed but didn't think that this would cause an issue with clutch engagement. Bike has sat since last fall. The clutch won't engage until the clutch lever is almost fully released. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
73 Posts
This may be helpful:

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
That seems to be a pretty common complaint :)

·
Administrator
6,799 Posts
I would bet its 100% normal.
i'll raise you ten

Never understood this (common) complaint - how do you expect a multi-plate clutch to engage across two inches of cable play ?

Enough people are surprised at this that I'm missing something - for me, it's just the same as every other m/cx cable clutch I've conme across in the last 50 years - when did they change ? ...

·
Registered
144 Posts
The fun part for me is the first clutch release on my 93 Harley after riding my TW. Usually happens when I realize I've been busy and haven't taken them out for a while. I take the TW out for around 30 to 40 minutes, then come home and hop right on the Harley. It always catches me off guard. I can only imagine the surprised look on my face when I pull away the first time. It must be priceless!
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
588 Posts
Changing cable length won't widen the engagement zone. That's the "feel" everyone is talking about. That zone is fixed by the clutch internals and we feel the relationship of the clutch lever to the push rod assy.

If the distance between the clutch lever pivot and where the cable attaches to the clutch lever were to decrease and/or the distance between the push rod assembly pivot and where the cable attaches to it were to increase then the engagement zone would be magnified.

Maybe a custom hydraulic solution like a HYMEC?

But once you get used to it, does it really present a problem?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Changing cable length won't widen the engagement zone. That's the "feel" everyone is talking about. That zone is fixed by the clutch internals and we feel the relationship of the clutch lever to the push rod assy.

If the distance between the clutch lever pivot and where the cable attaches to the clutch lever were to decrease and/or the distance between the push rod assembly pivot and where the cable attaches to it were to increase then the engagement zone would be magnified.

Maybe a custom hydraulic solution like a HYMEC?

But once you get used to it, does it really present a problem?
Yea I really sorta like it, but I do have large hands...jusayun

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
i'll raise you ten

Never understood this (common) complaint - how do you expect a multi-plate clutch to engage across two inches of cable play ?

Enough people are surprised at this that I'm missing something - for me, it's just the same as every other m/cx cable clutch I've conme across in the last 50 years - when did they change ? ...
I can say that Honda has figured it out. The Africa Twin i just sold and my better half's NC700 have a much nicer clutch engagement that does not feel like a light switch. Both are multiplate wet clutches and cable operated.....

I think the difference is in the mechanics inside the case. The Honda's do not have a pushrod that runs from the left side to the right. All of the mechanism is on the clutch side.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
The fun part for me is the first clutch release on my 93 Harley after riding my TW. Usually happens when I realize I've been busy and haven't taken them out for a while. I take the TW out for around 30 to 40 minutes, then come home and hop right on the Harley. It always catches me off guard. I can only imagine the surprised look on my face when I pull away the first time. It must be priceless! View attachment 227730
I have to ask: How does the Harley clutch catch? I have a Buell and it catches near 1/2 way. The rest of my bikes catch about 3/4 way released. I actually killed the Buell the first few times I rode it.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
While the clutch SEEMS to perform like a light switch on street and flat ground, get her into the steep and loose stuff and it behaves just fine. I've done a lot of steep, rocky, root filled, switchback up and down hill riding on my TW and the clutch slips just fine as needed. In fact, because the slip zone is short, I can one-finger the clutch to keep rpm's up and prevent stalling. Sweet!
But, if you really want some range to the lever's action, stiffer springs are the answer. Stock springs are juuuust enough to lock up the clutch when fully compressed. Stiffer springs allow some release action to reach that same plate tension sweet spot to slip.

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Registered
112 Posts
While the clutch SEEMS to perform like a light switch on street and flat ground, get her into the steep and loose stuff and it behaves just fine. I've done a lot of steep, rocky, root filled, switchback up and down hill riding on my TW and the clutch slips just fine as needed. In fact, because the slip zone is short, I can one-finger the clutch to keep rpm's up and prevent stalling. Sweet!
But, if you really want some range to the lever's action, stiffer springs are the answer. Stock springs are juuuust enough to lock up the clutch when fully compressed. Stiffer springs allow some release action to reach that same plate tension sweet spot to slip.
O God more money Lol

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I have the stiffer versah springs in mine and i personally dont think its any better. My girlfriends bike has barnet plates and springs. Its smoother but the clutch is still a light switch.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I have to ask: How does the Harley clutch catch? I have a Buell and it catches near 1/2 way. The rest of my bikes catch about 3/4 way released. I actually killed the Buell the first few times I rode it.
My Ducati would start start engaging about 1/4" off the bar and every time i would ride it after riding the TW i would stall it at least twice. I would also occasionally make the mistake of just cranking the throttle open like i can on the TW and end up going like 60 in a 30 with the frotn wheel in the air leaving my neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Back in the dark ages, I drove cement mixer truck for a friend of the family. It was a good, small outfit.

He (Elvin Hawkins) had 3 trucks and he wanted them to be the prettiest mixer trucks in the valley. Each driver was expected to spend 1 hour per day polishing glass, chrome, and aluminum.

We mostly did our own maintenance, and could run down and buy anything we wanted that would doll up the trucks.

Me... I wanted the damn thing to act in a way that would make me the driver that all those cement contractors would ask for. So I adjusted the clutch where I thought it should be. Take up your foot off the floor, and to the truck would want to move.

I liked it and I was the only driver who drove #33 so that's how it oughta stay, right?

We'll, just ask any mechanic and he'll tell you that a truck driver is the lowest form of life on Earth. The shop foreman, a good friend (Brian Cam) who stole a flirting prospect (Myra Deitrick) from me in High School and married her, drove my truck (#33) to the tire shop and didn't like the way the clutch felt.

So he adjusted it to where it engaged way up on top just as you were thinking about shifting again. It was maddening.

We'll, we talked it over. He agreed to never unadjust my clutch again until the day after I was fired.

Looking back, it must have been a pleasant discussion. Patty and I are Godparents to a pair of Jackson County Sheriff Deputies and he and Myra (now deceased) Godparented our Jake.

Hey, it is not all about clutches.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Well, all I can say is that heavier springs and short shifting on steep hills I'm provided clutch slip control with one finger and good engine rpm control.

Reactions: Ken
1 - 20 of 28 Posts